Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820 v2 1150w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi community.

I 've had my Z820 for about 4 years.

I went to power it on after a few months of not using it.

It powered up, told me that the bios battery might be flat. I pressed f1 to boot, then it turned off and wouldn't turn back on.

I troubleshooted as per the technical service guide.

Upon removing the PSU and plugging it alone into mains power, the fans don't spin and the light doesn't light up at the back of the PSU - indicating that the PSU is faulty.

I have seen the odd random post/youtube about these PSUs stop working.

I can get a PSU from US eBay for ~$150 USD

Does anyone have experience with these PSUs, going faulty etc?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I do not see where you replaced the CMOS battery, so start with that.  They are typically a CR2032.

Next, there is more to testing a power supply than just plugging it into an outlet, otherwise it would be on all the time.  The best it to have a power suppy testor.  Since you are in Australia, that might be somewhat more of a problem but if you have Amazon, they are on there, at least in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=...

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Tester-Molex-Connectors/dp/B083GB3D27/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&h...

There are other ways to test but still require test instruments and some knowledge of electronics and schematics.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

the upgraded HP z820 1115 watt power supplies are not known for any specific failures

since you have performed the HP "BIST" test and received a  failed response  this power supply is bad and needs to be replaced

repairing one is possible, however finding a qualified repair shop is becoming a major problem nowadays so your only recourse may be to replace it with a used or possibly new unit 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.