Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm upgrading my video card on Z820, 850W power supply. It requires an 8-pin auxillary power connection. I can't even find a 6-pin inside this macine. Where are the auxillary PCIe power cables located?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

one more time, when you install a pci-e card you remove a metal plate,  now look at the OPPSITE end

(Towards the front of the case)

there is a black plastic insert that holds the edge of a full lenght card and has 2 fans  the 2 GPU connectors are cliped to  the plastic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

if you have the 850 watt supply be advised that you should limit the total wattage of the video card to 200 watts max

if you have dual high power cpu's and every ram bank filled, then you will need the optional 1200 watt supply

with the above said, the z820  (with 850 watt supply) normally has the two 6pin  gpu connectors attached to the plastic card guide that sits opposit of the back, where you remove the metal plates the gpu connectors clip onto the plastic

the above is covered in detail in the z820 "service manual" google for it

HP Recommended

Much thanks for the advice on power requirement. I shoul be ok then, because my new GPU is 200W 🙂

I donloaded the service manual and much thanks for the yip on that as well. It had tons of useful info, but nothing on the gpu connectors or their location that I could though.

I'm going to shut this beast down now and take a look-see for the two 6-pin connectors based on your decription.

HP Recommended

I looked inside, and can't locate the plastic card guide or the metal plates you spoke of. 

HP Recommended

one more time, when you install a pci-e card you remove a metal plate,  now look at the OPPSITE end

(Towards the front of the case)

there is a black plastic insert that holds the edge of a full lenght card and has 2 fans  the 2 GPU connectors are cliped to  the plastic

HP Recommended

Found em 🙂 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.