Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The instructions I posted were a screen grab from the v3.95 BIOS update notes from the HP Z620 drivers page. Would I be correct to assume that your computer boots without any beeps or warnings and the POST screen is visible during the boot up but then nothing. No Windows logo, etc.? Have you tried booting into safe mode (pressing the ESC key during POST )? It sounds more like the BIOS update was successsfull but due to either a hardware configuration or software driver, Windows fails to load. Are you able to enter the BIOS after the update? If UEFI is enabled, try disabling or check your other BIOS settings.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended
I have accessed the CMOS after failure to progress to windows by rebooting, and tried disabling UEFI with no success! Only resolution was to revert back to BIOS 3.91 installation! Thanks!
HP Recommended

Brian,

I fear that HP minions have conflated the instructions for updating BIOS from within BIOS for the Z440/Z640 with the instructions for doing this same thing from within BIOS for the Z420/Z620.  The actual procedures truly are different.

HP Recommended
Do you have the correct procedure for the Z820 BIOS upgrade from 3.91 to 3.92 that has actually worked! I note that in one of your posts you always clear the CMOS first, which I have not done, but will do so on my next attempt! Also, in my Z820, the jumper contacts number from front to rear as 123 with the default being 23, and 12 required for BIOS upgrade! Thank you!
HP Recommended

what is the current "ME" management engine firmware revision? if it's not the latest posted on the HP site try to update it

the SP file has all relevant information on checking the current installed version, and how to flash

do note that in order to update the firmware, the AMT must be enabled in the bios (just enable and reset to defaults) do not actually try to enter, or you must set a password!! this password can not be recovered so write it down if you do enter the AMT

once amt is enabled boot system and install amt software (which loads the com 3 driver also) then run the ME firmware updater it will autodetect installed version and select correct update file then install it

HP Recommended
First action was to restore the default values in the CMOS, but I retained the boot password! The ME is version 7.1.91.3272 and is the latest on the website! The AMT is enabled in the CMOS! Where is the amt software? I proceeded without that suggestion and successfully updated the BIOS from 3.91 t0 3.95! Some success in that the POST was successful and the Windows 7 logo appeared, but no progression to Windows 7 software! I finally reinstalled BIOS 3.91 and access to Windows 7 was restored and I am using it to prepare this progress and to thank you for your assistance! I will access the HP Z820 Driver site later and look for a sp containing amt software! If I find the amt file I will install it! Then begin the process of updating BIOS 3.91 to Bios 3.95!
HP Recommended

your problem is most likely not a bios corruption issue, but rather a bios config/setting issue

when doing a bios update, it sometimes resets the bios back to factory default settings and depending on how your drives are connected to the motherboard and which controller on the motherboard you are booting from (LSI or SATA controller) this might be the cause

also, a bios update can sometimes cause the system to pause before continuing 

if you do the bios update, and it updates/reboots and shows the boot text screen and allows you to enter the bios and it shows 3.95 then the bios update was successful

and any other issues on the windows 7 OS booting will most likely be software related

the intel "AMT" setting should be disabled in the bios, as it's only used in corporate/domain settings to allow admins remote access to your system

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance! The BIOS successfully updated to 3.95! Windows booted to the opening screen logo and no further! 

I now have to solve this issue!

HP Recommended

Good to hear you made the breakthrough with DGroves' advice. 

We run all our workstations with ME turned off. 

Might THIS also have had something to do with your issues?:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z620-Z420-New-BIOS...

Clearing the CMOS with the more advanced methods is just a fancy way to make sure I'm back at factory defaults.  The little CMOS button does not always do the trick by itself.  Some BIOS settings can get "stuck" or corrupted .  So, there are three levels of getting to factory defaults in my mind:

The BIOS selection, save changes and exit.

The CMOS button by itself, save changes and exit..

The CMOS button plus other maneuvers such as ensuring the workstations is fully unplugged from everything, including removal of the MB battery, push CMOS buttin and hold for at least 30 seconds, push and hold front power switch, back and forth a few times, finger bridge the 3 prongs of the main power port on rear of workstation.... all to ensure all the capacitors are fully discharged along with the CMOS circuit.  Save changes and exit.

HP Recommended
The reference does clarify the proper Bios 3.95 upgrade for HP Z820! I have successfully upgraded to Bios 3.95, but Windows 7 Pro 64 bit would now not boot/progress beyond the initial splash screen! So I am now involved with re-installing Win 7 Pro 64 bit, and eventually to install Win 10 Pro 64 bit! My thanks to all who have assisted, especially D. Groves and SDH!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.