youcangetjules
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z820 Boot problem

Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a tricky question regarding dual boot from NVMe SSD on my Z820. I have 2 NVMe SSDs in the computer - a Samsung 950 Pro and a 960 Evo. I bought the Evo first thinking I could boot from it but then found out that the 950 Pro was the only one you could do that with.

Problem is I cant load ANY operating system onto the Evo with keeping the Pro as the boot device. It just wont do it. I've even gone so far as to manually change the BCD file in the MSR on the Evo - no dice - the only hint it will give me is that in the BCD it wont give me the path to the operating system, it just says "Unknown", like it's not assigned a drive letter or anything.

Is there any way around this and getting a second operating system stood up on the Evo?

Thanks,

Jules

2 REPLIES 2
Level 11
2,857 2,851 245 565
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z820 Boot problem

yes you can install different OS to different drives however to do so requires you to know and understand how the linux "GRUB" bootloader (and the windows bootloader) works and this is not a beginners task

i recommend you use google and search for "GRUB booting different OS on different drives" and " “dual-booting"

0 Kudos
youcangetjules
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z820 Boot problem

Anyone with better suggestions on "how" it can be done rathert than "it can be done" - the key thing for me is understanding how the BCD file on the second hard drive is populated. First up is the winload.efi file fails when the bootloader on the linux disk hands off to windows, and then I try to fix the BCD file but to no avail. Thats the bit I need help with.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation