Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, im trying to clear up a few things about powering a GTX GPU in my Z820.

The GPU I have is an ASUS GTX 1080ti Turbo

My PSU does  offers 1125 W and should handle the power. However the PCI Power connectors only provide 6 pins. I am wondering how to go about getting the extra 8 pin the graphic card requires. (1x 6pin and 1x8pin).

My local computer store has a 6 to 8 pin adapter. But I am not sure this will work. There are more free connectors on the Mainboard which could be used with an extra cable. I was searching the forums and stumbled on a couple posts mentioning HP brand adapters. People seem to have used different solutions for this.

would be great to know how to go about this

Cheers

Joris

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

the HP 1200 watt optional supply is capable of powering the 1080TI which unlike the normal 1080's 180 watts draws 230 watts (or more) if you have the stock 850 watt supply and dual high power cpu's, HP does not recomend a 230 watt video card 

since the 850 watt supply has two 6 pin gpu adapters, and the 1200 watt supply has three GPU connectors, you will need a at least one (or possibly two) six to eight pin adapter. i have found the quality of these adapters vary with cheap ones using thinner wires and have poor connectors. the HP adapter is a high quality adapter, but is rather expensive at $36 compared to around $5 for no name ones

HP adapter link (amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Power-Supply-Adapter-N1G35AA/dp/B011Z74OGW

HP product description and part number link:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=8397979

HP Recommended

I do have a 1125 W Power supply. But I am also running dual CPUs. I'm not sure I understand what you meant bei 2 six to 8 pins. The GTX requires one 6pin and one 8pin to run

HP Recommended

you don't under stand that your 1080TI card may have one 8 pin or two 8 pin aux power connectors???

i don't know how to make the above statement any clearer

here's a link to a asus 1080TI card that uses two eight pin power connectors instead of a six and eight

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/specifications/

HP Recommended

Please use the search bar for this forum and look up words like 6 pin and 8 pin and 6-pin and 8-pin and supplemental PCIe power cable..... this has been discussed over and over here.  Here's the basics:

1.  The ATX standard for a PCIe 6-pin supplemental power cable is that it can carry up to 75 watts out to the video card, and up to 75 watts can come up to the card from the PCIe x16 video slot. 

2.  HP workstation power supplies are built to standards that are higher than the ATX standard.  When you look at the specs on your high wattage HP power supply's label you'll see each 6-wire 6-pin cable can carry up to 18 Amps (12VDC).  What is 12 x 18?  That is the number of Watts (216) that HP workstation power supplies can send out on each of those 6-wire cables.  And, that is why you can use one of those HP cables and a 6-pin to dual 6-pin high quality adapter with the HP power supplies.  Or, one of those 6-pin HP cables to one quality 8-pin adapter.  You're thinking apples, and you have oranges.

3.  Running two video cards that each require one 8-pin and one 6-pin ATX standard plugs will require a tiny bit of creativity.  The ATX standard for an 8-pin supplemental PCIe power cable is 150W max each.  There are 3 of the HP 216W PCIe supplemental power cables coming from your larger 1275W Z820 power supply.. go to eBay and take a look, or look in your box.  They are G1, G2 and G3.  So, one 8 pin adapter for two of those, and plug the third 6 pin straight into one of the two remaining 6-pin receptacles.  Finally get a 6-pin power adapter from a molex or SATA power plug from the least utilized feed coming out of the power supply and feed into the last 6-pin receptacle.

4.  I don't know where you live..... if you have 100 volt line voltage your power supply is rated to 1125W.  If 120 volt like in the USA it is rated to 1275W.  If your line voltage is 220 it is rated to 1450W.

HP Recommended

Excellent information, details about the Z820 SPC cable anatomy were elusive, very thankful for your post. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.