Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820
Linux

Hi all,

Both liquid coolers just died. I’m trying to keep my old Z820 dual 2687W system going but can’t seem to find any NOS liquid coolers anywhere. I called HP, they have zero, nor can I find them actually in stock anywhere on planet earth at present. Lots show up but when you call nothing in stock. Seems only used crap shoot no warranty Ebay options at present. These will likely have same issue shortly given the same age. Tried rebuilding but glycol is different or something. No luck.

So my question is does anyone think the following solution will work?

I know the Z840 Z cooler air cooler will fit fine but doubt it will cool enough for 2687Ws.

Part #-749598-001

So I’m wondering if the 3D vapor drive will fit? I assume it’s the same basic size as the regular Z cooler because it’s used in Z840 as well and all use same fan shroud as well. HP claims it’s better at cooling than even the old liquid coolers so that grabbed my attention.

Part #-828231-001

I realize no matter even if they work when the bios sees 2687w it will give me a 528: CPU requires liquid cooling system" error, since there not liquid cooled anymore, but I’m thinking I can just hit hit F1 and boot anyway knowing these 3d vapor coolers are working keeping the thermals safe.

Backup plan is to simply downgrade to dual e5-2690 matched set and use normal Z coolers.

Anyone tried this? Any thoughts or advice?

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I wanted to pass along this update for anyone who has a failed liquid cooler(s) on an older HP Z820 system.

Im back up and running using the newer Z840 3D vapor coolers. For reference this is a Z820 dual CPU 2687w system and It no longer requires liquid cooling to keep temps stable. The newer HP 3d Vapor coolers for Z840s ( part # 828231-001 ) keeps these older CPUs stable under full load. There heavy duty looking and passive so wont break. The system has less noise with two less fans and brand new these are a quarter the price of used liquid coolers off ebay and they fit with no issues at all. Just plug the 3 pin connectors into the 4 pin on the mobo.  The only issue is hitting F1 at boot -to pass the hard coded warning about the missing liquid coolers (only 2687w CPUs ) this just takes one second extra and is really a non issue. 

Thanks to everyone for the help and a very Special thanks to DGroves and Manchicken. . 

Average temps at idle using newer HP 3d vapor cooler on 2687w v1 CPUs

54 CPU 0 ( main sys cpu so always runs hotter by design ) 

44 CPU 1 

100% load on both CPUs running 32 threads after 5 minutes

74 CPU

65 CPU

Bottom line, If your z820 Liquid coolers die this is the perfect solution.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

the z840 vapor coolers are compatible with the z820 to remove the F1 prompt simply connect a small 10/20 mm 3 wire 12v fan on the pump header(s) the HP bios only needs to see a speed reading on the headers to think the liquid pumps are attached

the issue is nobody currently makes a 90mm AIO  you do however have one slim option, some consumer HP pc's came with a 90mm AIO that might be adapted to your system

it's possible to refill your current AIO or just replace the pump/Fluid (IE-A Rebuild) this is the way i would go.... you can use the fluid water/additives from any name brand custom cooling kit maker to refill your setup contact a vender for specific details your current AIO is a copper base plate with a aluminum radiator so you need the proper additive to prevent dissimilar metal  electrolysis

i've rebuilt several AIO's and it's not hard, but proper attention to the correct basics such as how to remove existing hoses and reconnect them needs to be done the right way

would i spend 220 dollars for ONE HP cooler? not in this world................... but here's a link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-z820-Workstation-Liquid-Cooling-Heatsink-635869-001-G0J48AA/303184680837...

HP Recommended

Hi DGroves, 

Thanks so much for replying I appreciate your time.

I’m very glad to hear you confirm the vapor coolers will fit and work in A Z820 system and especially your tip for the adding the fan connection to trick the bios at boot up. That is pure genius!

My system was offsite for another reason entirely when the first liquid cooler suddenly died. Then the other. So the person with it did try to rebuild them both first using the “ Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Performance coolant”. Apparently there was only about an ounce of coolant left in each so evaporation was happening and allot of black tar like scum inside. All looked good as new after both were cleaned out and refilled but still no luck. Maybe the Corsair Hydro was an issue as it was apparently  “thick like syrup” and he said the HP brass fins were very tight. Unfortunately he’s never rebuilt a liquid cooler before so that’s another issue.  Apparently neither of them will work at all now, so that’s why I’m looking for an alternative rather than rebuild. 

What are your thoughts on if these Vapor coolers will keep the dual 2687Ws cool enough under load? FYI, HP literature actually claims they are better at cooling than the liquid coolers on the Z280 were but I wonder if true. If true this should work right? 

Thanks again and much appreciated. 

HP Recommended

you can replace the pump head(s) from any AIO kit or cooling mfgr who sells AIO pumps which support the z820 cpu mounting specs same for the tubing, a cooling vender will stock the proper hoses

your current radiators can be cleaned at some automotive radiator shops or at home using vinegar

mix equal parts vinegar and FILTERED/distilled water, let sit in the radiator for a day and rinse Then repeat till it's clean

now refill the system by submerging the entire AIO in the proper anti corrosion mixture, and twist it around/upside down till all air bubbles are gone then attach the hose(s) 

HP Recommended

Hi DGrooves,

For myself rebuilding is far to much of an unknown. From parts sourcing,  unknowns, time and experimenting and knowing in this particular case that route has already failed miserably once. I really want to find an alternate route using new parts if possible. Your idea may be the wisest and you’ve done it before, but I’m simply not capable nor do I have the time. This is the reason Im trying to confirm if these HP 3D vapor coolers or even regular Z air cooler will work with my dual 2687W’s.

Like wise those Ebay liquid ones, they are all used and same age as mine so they will likely suffer same fate soon enough, plus, they should be like 50 bucks each being used old stock! 
cheers. 

HP Recommended

pm me,................ i have some other solutions before you pull the trigger

HP Recommended

PM sent.

HP Recommended

Forgottenrebel,

As far as I know, the Z Cooler was introduced (early 2018?) for z840 using : Xeon E5-2687W v3 which is rated at 160W . The Z  Cooler was an also an option for for the z440. The Xeon E5-2687W  first version was rated at 150W.

If the z820 has BIOS settings similar to the z420 and z620> Advanced Thermal, it would then possible to advance the CPU fan curve, in the z820 the CPU fans are integral to the shroud, so as keep them cooler.

Very strange that the two coolers would fail in that way and then not be restorable.   Cleaning them out and refillng so there is no air in the system should work. When the rebuild was attempted before, were the pumps working?

By the way, the last two HP Z820 AIO Liquid Cooler P/N: 635869 were sold on ebahhh for $100. and $60.

BambiBoomZ

HP z620_2 (2017) (R7) > Xeon E5-1680 v2 (8C@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid Cooling / 64GB (HP/Samsung 8X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC registered) / Quadro P2000 5GB _ GTX 1070 Ti 8GB / HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB AHCI + Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB + HGST 7K6000 4TB + HP/HGST Enterprise 6TB / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 sound interface + 2X Mackie MR824 / 825W PSU / Windows 7 Prof.’l 64-bit (HP OEM) > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440)

[ Passmark Rating = 6280 / CPU rating = 17178 / 2D = 819 / 3D= 12629 / Mem = 3002 / Disk = 13751 / Single Thread Mark = 2368 [10.23.18]

HP z420_3: (2015) (R11) Xeon E5-1650 v2 (6C@ 4.3GHz) / z420 Liquid cooling / 64GB (HP/Samsung 8X 8GB DDR3-1866 ECC registered) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/ Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + HGST 4TB / ASUS Essence STX + Logitech z2300 2.1 / 600W PSU > Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (HP OEM ) > Samsung 40" 4K

[Passmark System Rating: = 5644 / CPU = 15293 / 2D = 847 / 3D = 10953 / Mem = 2997 Disk = 4858 /Single Thread Mark = 2384 [6.27.19]

HP Recommended

the z820 uses TWO DIFFERENT THERMAL SENSING CIRCUITS

the case/memory fans are on one circuit and controlled by the bios fan setting and the ambient air sensor in the power cable

the cpu fans are on a seperate thermal circuit, and are controlled by the cpu's onboard temp sensor and the bios's preprogrammed cooling settings (no direct user control)

users who have a failed ambient temp sensor will note that when it fails only the case.memory fans ramp up to full speed, the cpu fan(s) will remain at normal speeds and change speeds depending on the current cpu temps

changing the case fan cooling setting in the bios may indirectly lower the cpu fan speed due to lowing the inside case temp but as i stated it does not directly control the cpu fan speed as this is automatically set 

i believe the z620 also works the same way

HP Recommended

If you are concerned about the E5-2687W CPUs overheating         

you could disable SpeedStep (aka Frequency Scaling in the   

BIOS. Or you could disable Hyper-Threading. Or both.  I use     

a Z820 with 2 x E5-2687W as my main trading system. It    

runs locked at 3.0 GHz with Hyper-Threading disabled. It  

is quiet, cool, and rock-solid stable. Your use case might 

be different however.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.