Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I wanted to pass along this update for anyone who has a failed liquid cooler(s) on an older HP Z820 system.

Im back up and running using the newer Z840 3D vapor coolers. For reference this is a Z820 dual CPU 2687w system and It no longer requires liquid cooling to keep temps stable. The newer HP 3d Vapor coolers for Z840s ( part # 828231-001 ) keeps these older CPUs stable under full load. There heavy duty looking and passive so wont break. The system has less noise with two less fans and brand new these are a quarter the price of used liquid coolers off ebay and they fit with no issues at all. Just plug the 3 pin connectors into the 4 pin on the mobo.  The only issue is hitting F1 at boot -to pass the hard coded warning about the missing liquid coolers (only 2687w CPUs ) this just takes one second extra and is really a non issue. 

Thanks to everyone for the help and a very Special thanks to DGroves and Manchicken. . 

Average temps at idle using newer HP 3d vapor cooler on 2687w v1 CPUs

54 CPU 0 ( main sys cpu so always runs hotter by design ) 

44 CPU 1 

100% load on both CPUs running 32 threads after 5 minutes

74 CPU

65 CPU

Bottom line, If your z820 Liquid coolers die this is the perfect solution.

HP Recommended

Hi Forgottenrebel,

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm currently facing the same problem where the workstation will thermal shutdown when it under heavy load. Apart swapping the z820 CPU cooler, what about the 'fan cluster' (multiple fans connected together on an plastic cover that cool also the RAM and other components)? My configuration do have that 'fan cluster' on top of the liquid cooler heatsink so am wondering if I change to the z cooler will the 'fan cluster' still fit?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help!

Bests,

Pin

HP Recommended

Yes, a very tight fit but my Z820 works just fine using the Z840 passive 3D vapor coolers. They are the big heavy looking ones not the regular z840 coolers. Only difference is fans are always running on low now so system is a bit more noisy. On liquids the system used to be completely silent and then on heavy load the sound of full jet afterburners would kick in before returning to silence. Now always a constant low fan sound. Im running dual 2687Ws so they run the hottest in xeon series so with any other CPUs the fans may not even need to run. 

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Just to update that I received the vapor cooler today. Have it replaced the original liquid cooler, and the workstation now runs completely silent. Temperature hovers around 50dC even under high load. The only inconvenience was to press F1 when boot up. It was not really an issue though as the workstation rarely reboot.

Thanks again to everyone whom helped and wishing you a nice weekend ahead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.