majush
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Z840 Fans go full throttle and machine freeze and shutdown soon after

HP Recommended
Z840
Linux

This happens sometimes inside CentOS while I ran geekbench and then on the Bios Bootup screen and once while installing centoS. All fans goes to full mode and very noisy and then everything freeze and machine shutdown. What could be causing it? dual Xeon 2687W v3 with 64gig ddr4 and a 256gb Samsung 850 Pro is what I am on.  

It did work fine many a times without this and ran geekbench and gave me 50,xxx on geekbench4 score.

edit: same happens when I am on windows. when i am running hp diagnostics off the usb it happens the same

thanks in advance. 

link to 2 videos recoded with sound. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bitvfNButXlODiTP5TtBcK2oKzpHiK9O

you can hear the sound of the fans going up. 

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
majush
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

problem solve. HP service centre replaced the mobo. 

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 934
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

try redong the thermal past on the CPU(s), also when it starts up then down, can it be restrted right away? or do you have to wait

also check/test power supply by disconnecting it from system, pwr it on and check for green (or red ) light at fan exaust end

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation