Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded my Xeon E5-1620v2 4c 8 threads with an E5-1680v2 8 cores 16 threads and installed the hp liquid cooler for the z420.  When  I boot I get a beep and an error 513 front chassis fan not detected.  I don't have one installed nor had one.. Never did that before.  I got one but it's hard to get in with my XL hands.  Please advise.

Above The Firehouse
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

the upgraded config (cpu + water cooling) you have listed comes with the front cooling fan installed to handle the required  airflow necessary to cool the inside of the case/add in cards as such you will have to install a front case fan which is rather cheap,...... other option is to downgrade the parts back to the orig setup

HP Recommended

"E5-1680v3" won't work in a Z420.... try a E5-1680 v2.

The front fan area is pretty tight, and it is best to take off the Z420's front grill so you can see from the front that the black plastic mating tabs are fitting correctly in their rectangular holes in the front metal as you rotate on those and snap the black plastic fan holder in place.  Then, the fan header is way down at the front bottom corner of the motherboard... hard to reach into that corner with the fan plug.  Maybe take it to a computer shop.....

HP Recommended

No, it did not. I purchased these separately. Why would I downgrade my performance? that makes no sense.

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

There seems to be a cable running down. the front of chassis where the fan should go.  see picture. I did not purchase this new. It was a recycled computer from a place that refurbs computers  The one on the bottom of the cables I see are different locations and the fan is different than the bulky one..

20200811_193943.jpgLarge (4 of 5).jpg

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

A Z420 v1 can run a E5-1680 (v1) reliably.  A Z420 v2 can run a E5-1680 (v1) and a E5-1680 v2 reliably.

A Z420 v1 or v2 cannot run a E5-1680 v3 or v4.  To run those two you need a Z440 level workstation.  The v3 and v4 processors have a different form factor and can't fit in the processor socket in a Z420... but they do fit in the socket in a Z440.

HP Recommended

Hello please explain how that relates to my question about my fan chassis error? I am not using a v3 but a v2.

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

one last time,....when you install a high power xeon cpu and the watercooling kit the bios detects both of these and then also looks for the front fan....................which you do not have installed,...hence the bios error

install the fan,...........and all will be well

if you choose not to do this your options are

reinstall the previous cpu

live with the boot error about the fam

HP Recommended

Tony, the answer to why I responded with my answer about how the Z420 cannot run a E5-1680 v3 was because your original post on 8/8/20 at 6:23 PM stated:

"I just upgraded my Xeon E5-1620v2 4c 8 threads with an E5-1680v3 8 cores 16 threads..."  Bold/underlined is what you had in there originally, and then later after my post you edited that to v2.

Good luck on your project.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.