cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deivid200
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

buy a few months ago hp z turbo drive 512 GB I connect it to the PCI port of my workstation z800 and

HP Recommended
Workstation z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
buy a few months ago hp z turbo drive 512 GB I connect it to the PCI port of my workstation z800 and it does not appear in the BIOS and when I want to install Windows it tells me that the disk is not bootable. what configuration should I do to make it work like my boot disk
1 REPLY 1
SDH
Level 10
2,274 2,228 211 657
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Deivid,

It is not good news regardless of whether you actually have the first or the second generation version of this HP device.  The HP Z Turbo Drives are specific for certain types of HP workstations, not all.  Here is some background information on the differences and some added details:

The "Z Turbo Drive" PCIe card actually should have been called the Z Turbo Drive G1 (Generation 1), but HP has not called it that except in a few cases.  It has a Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD with special HP firmware, has an AHCI based controller, does not have an attached aluminum finned heat sink, and requires later BIOS versions for the workstations it is certified for.  It is certified by HP to work on the Z230 SFF and Tower, the Z420/Z620/Z820 workstations and also the Z440/Z640/Z840.  It is not certified to work on the Z400/600/800, and it won't.  I also have tried with no success even using all my tricks.  Finding the HP FAQs for the ZTD G1 is difficult.... HERE is a link from 5/15 that blends some of the G1 info with the G2 info.   HERE is a link that deals with the ZTD G1 only, from 12/14.

The later Z Turbo Drive G2 PCIe card is certified to work only on the Z240 SFF and Tower, and the Z440/Z640/Z840.  It is a different Samsung M.2 SSD with special HP firmware,  has an NVMe based controller, and does always have an aluminum finned heat sink attached.  Any BIOS version for the ZX40 series of workstations will let it run.  You can remove the little G2 M.2 SSD from its HP PCIe card and replace it with a G1 M.2 SSD or a Predator M.2 SSD in instead.... that HP PCIe card works fine with all of those..... have done that experiment.

I have been able to get the Kingston Predator M.2 SSD (in its Kingston PCIe card) installed and running in HP Z400/Z600/Z800 workstations and even the older xw6400 and xw6600.  This M.2 drive has an AHCI based controller and thus can boot in many "legacy" workstations using the special firmware that Kingston has developed.  However, getting this working is not a "plug and play" experience.  I have posted in here about a specific Storage Controller driver that allows that to work in the ZX00 and xw workstations, and the method includes installing the OS onto a SSD, changing that SSD's Storage Controller driver to the special one via Device Manager, and then capturing an image of that build from the SSD using Acronis and cloning it over from the image to the Predator M.2 SSD.  One of my Z600 builds has 3 separate internal boot drives, two of which are SSDs and one of which is the Predator.  A quick BIOS change of the boot order lets me change between these builds, taking 1.5 minutes each change.

You may wish to return the HP card and get a high capacity Predator unless you are upgrading your Z800 to a Z820 or Z840 in the near term (assuming you have a ZTD G1).  However, the Z840 with a Z Turbo Drive G2 would be preferred, of course.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation