Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Z420 now but would like to upgrade to a Z820 due to some of my software requirements.  Can I use the same CPU and Memory chips in the Z820 from my Z420?  I currently have an E5-2680 2.7 mhz 8 core now in the 420.

Thanks

****corrected*   I meant Z820 not Z840 ... sorry for the confusion... I corrected the text above****

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

no, nothing will transfer over except for the hard drives if going from z420 to z840

yes, ram/2600 cpu's will xfer if going from z420 to z820

your post in not clear as you mention both z840 and z820

z420 ddr3 ram  /  z840 ddr4 ram

cpu's z420  cpu-e5-1600/2600 series ("v2" is ivy bridge) no support for v3/v4 cpu's

z840  v3 and v4 cpu's "Haswell" not backwards compatible with v2 cpu's

HP Recommended

🤓Thanks for the reply, and for pointing out my error.  I meant the 820 not the 840.  

nallegro_0-1607706405115.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.