Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have a HP Envy 23 and l want to connect a second monitor for work purposes. Can you please let me know if l can connect a second monitor? If so can you please explain how this is done. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is more to the model number than the "HP Envy 23 " posted.  There are many different models in that line of PC's, so it is difficult to offer any good advice.

However, there is always a device similar to this that will work with most any PC that has a USB port

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-Multiple-2048x1152-1920x1080/dp/B00A2E1MQA

if you have a USB 3.0 port or if the device is older and only has USB 2.0

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-Multiple-1920x1080-Chromebook/dp/B004AIJE9G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=U...

The plugable devices are very reliable

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There is more to the model number than the "HP Envy 23 " posted.  There are many different models in that line of PC's, so it is difficult to offer any good advice.

However, there is always a device similar to this that will work with most any PC that has a USB port

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-Multiple-2048x1152-1920x1080/dp/B00A2E1MQA

if you have a USB 3.0 port or if the device is older and only has USB 2.0

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-Multiple-1920x1080-Chromebook/dp/B004AIJE9G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=U...

The plugable devices are very reliable

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I don't know about your specific model, but if you have two monitor connections on your video card, two monitors should not be a problem.  With all the different machines I have set up as two monitors, I have never had a problem getting two monitors to work if I had two or more monitor connections on the video card. 

That said, you may want to look up the specs for your video card to be sure it will support two "Active" monitors.  I had a problem recently with my z420 workstation trying to connect three monitors.  My z420 has a Nvidia Quadro 2000 video card with 1 DVI and 2 Display Port connections.  I therefor assumed I could connect three monitors without a problem, assuming since the card had three monitor connections it would support three monitors. 

Not So!  My video card will only support two "Active" monitors at a time.  So, with three monitors connected, it starts with monitor two and three.  And if I turn off monitor three, Windows will switch to monitor one and two.

Following a bunch of research with Nvidia, it seems the Nvidia specifications will say only "multiple monitor Yes or No", and the card manufacturer will decide how many "Active" monitors it will support.  So find the card manufacture specs to determine number of "Active" monitors.

This may be too much information.  I have never had a problem connecting and using two monitors if the video card had two or more monitor connections, and I've set up 20 or more computers with two monitors.  So plug in your two monitors and try it out, I would be surprised if you had any difficulty getting both of them to work.

Good Luck,

DB

HP Recommended

What @GSBear comments might well work if you have the two outputs, but as I said the Envy 23 is an all in one and might not have that option.  Had to tell without the comlete model number

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.