Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z600
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi , I have hp z600 workstation,
it's 16 gb memory
nividea quadro 2000
xeon E5520 ( 2 processors )
... and I need to upgrade both graphics card and processor as I need to work with some architecture and animation programs like lumion , maya, 3ds max, cinema 4d, and vray
.. so what is the suitable processor that i could upgrade to ? please give multiple choices with different prices 
.. and do " gtx 1060 6gb " will work with my workstation ? 
please help me

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

the z600 had two motherboards a B@ that only takes 55xx series and a Cx revision that takes 55xx/56xx series

this board has a search function, please use it before asking, since many questions have ben asked several times allready

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z600-CPU-support-a...

Intel 55 series link

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/64237/Nehalem-EP

intel 56 series link

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/63616/Westmere-EP

http://www.hp.com/canada/products/landing/workstations/files/13277_na.pdf

the z600 will support a 1060  with the stock 650 watt supply, again this has been asked numerous times allready on this forum  (use the search link)

as for pricing on the items, thats your responsibility not ours

HP Recommended
I have seen this around but I thought that the best cpu that could be used was the X5675.
It seems any higher was a little hit and miss even on the version two board. Am I correct in thinking this?
HP Recommended

I use the z800/820 not the z600, butt as i recall the z600 does not support any 130 watt cpu's only  85 watt or lower

if you try a 130 watt cpu, the bios halts the boot stating unsupported high power cpu installed

HP Recommended
This is what I thought. So to be safe the fastest cpu for the version two motherboard is the x5675
HP Recommended

hp only lists the cpu's they supported, i do know some z600's came with 130 watt cpu's and they should run the 5690's also

i just don't know if all z600 systems support 130 watts. as i stated if you use a cpu of a higher wattage hp will useually stop the boot with a bios msg

it might be a s simple as upgrading the 90 watt coolers to the 130 watt coolers that will allow the 5690's to work

check this link

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z600-with-dual-X56...

HP Recommended

X5672 is even faster each, but 4 cores each.

I've built Z600s both ways and it is a bit hard to tell the difference but I can feel that bit of extra speed with the dual quad cores.  8 total has been fine for the programs we use.  For another purpose two of those slower X5675s would be a better choice.

Bigger deal than that small perceive difference was to populate all memory slots with identical 1333MHz memory, and to add in a Predator M.2 PCIe SSD card as posted about here.

HP Recommended
I think you are right when it comes to the use of the cpu. We usually use it for video editing which means we make use of all 24 threads. It would be interesting to know if there is any difference when rendering to adobe premiere pro.
I'm with SDH the biggest general performance increase was installing an SSD even if it is just for your boot drive and main programs but I've not had chance to try the M.2 version SSD yet
HP Recommended

Sam,

The Kingston Predator M.2 SSD seems to no longer be made by them, but if you dig around you likely can find some still available.  I've liked that speed boost quite a bit, but it is not like when we went from HDD to SSD.  It is more like getting a faster video card that is a step up.... you can feel it but it does not blow your socks off.  But, that is a moot point with them being gone from production.  Lot more info  HERE.

However, the Z620 can run the HP Z Turbo Drive G1 (but not the G2 version.... you have to go to Z640 for that).  So, enjoy use of your SSD in a Z600.  One alternative to the Predator would be to get a nice PCIe card that lets you run SATA III SSDs at their full speed in the Z600 (which is a SATA generation II workstation).

EDIT:  The ZX00 series workstations have PCIe slots that max out at PCIe Generation 2 speed/bandwidth.  You need a newer workstation to get PCIe Generation 4 speed/bandwidth.  So, in our Z400 and Z600 workstations I put the Kingston Predator M.2 PCIe interface card in a slot that is PCIe generation 2 with a minimum of "x4" electrical lanes.  You get no added benefit if you use a PCIe generation 2 "x16" slot, but make sure to use at least one of the "x4" slots.  That is the max the Predator can use for both of those very different specifications so you want to at least match to that capability in your choice of PCIe slot.  See the related info from DGroves a couple of posts down in this thread......

Scott

HP Recommended
I literally just posted the same question regarding the use of the SATA 3 PCIe card. From what I can see it will give a boost from 3 GB/s (sata II) to 5 GB/s.

Am I right in thinking this?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.