Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z420 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello,

so I have been wanting to buy an hp z420 workstation for gaming and productivity and i wanted to put in such specs

xeon e5 1620 vs (it is a bit old but it is great for my budget)

ram 16gb

1tb hard drive

128gb ssd (for the os)

and a radeon rx 580 nitro+ 8gb 

problem is i have seen many people upgrade their power supplies to fit their graphic card needs so my graphic card requires 300 watts of power and the system i want to buy has 600w power supply but no 8 pin connector so do i need another power supply for it or can i make it all work, also keeping it in perspective that the rx 580 needs an 8 pin gpu power connector so can I come by all these problems by using a 2x sata to 8 pin connector and have it all work fine or do i need another power supply for it, and if i do what is the one which will fit and also give suffiecient power since i do plan on upgrading it to a gtx 1080

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

first of all make sure the z420 is a rev 2 system ( bios bootblock date)

If the Z420 has a boot block date of 12/28/2011, it supports only the v1 CPUs.

If the Z420 has a boot block block of 03/06/2013, it supports both the v1 and v2 CPUs

next you require the upgraded 600 watt supply however not all 600 watt units had the dual 6 pin gpu connectors which is perfered when using video cards with dual power jacks

if your 600 watt HP supply only has one 6 pin you will need a 6 to 8 pin adapter and a second molex to 6 (or  😎 pin gpu adapter

the hp 600 watt supply is ok in your listed setup as long as you don't fill up all the ram slots, drive bays, and pci-e slots

there do exist 3rd party power supply adapters that allow standard ATX power supplies to be used, but if using this method make sure the supply is a quality unit that can actually output it's listed wattage. many cheap/no name units fail to reach the stated wattage and have poor power regulation

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.