Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z420 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a hp z420 V2 workstation. I put 64 gigs of ECC 14900r ram in it. the ram is 1600mhz but I have a 2687w V2 coming in that I plan to install in it with the hp water liquid CPU cooler too. Will the ram upgrade to a faster speed or will it stay at 1600mhz? Sorry if this is a silly question. I have never owned or used a workstation before now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're running multiple threads... try to consolidate... the answer to your question is no.

Agree with DGroves.... but lets say you want max snap, truly a tiny bit more.  Big cost to run max size of HP ZTD v1... huge cost/benefit vs a modern quality SATA III SSD.  The Z Turbo Drive that works in the ZX20 would be a significant cost, and honestly a time sink project for little benefit.   You'd want the biggest version which is hard to find and quite expensive.  Instead, I'd currently run a 1TB Samsung 870 2.5" form factor SSD attached to one of the two SATA III gray ports (SATA port 0) in that $50.00 box (kudos on the great price).  Focus on how to run one or two SATA III SSDs off the two gray ports, or one SSD and one SATA III big documents HDD.  Run the Samsung with its special performance option turned on, and overprovisioning set to the default percentage.  You do those two things via the latest Samsung Magician utility version which is free from Samsung.  I also still like the Intel 545s but that is older technology..

You need to also focus on cooling more in that box... make sure to get an official HP front PCI cooler and fan kit.

I've posted on max cooling using air cooling via an about $20.00 USD Z440 cooler that is twice the cooling capacity as the stock Z420 cooler.  Best buy ever.  Works even with the original Z440 fan and fan plug if you hang one end off into space as described.  I only run the single processor builds in the Z420 and Z620 boxes now with this Z440 heatsink/fan upgrade.  Double the cooling for $20.00, HP quality?  No brainer.  My advice on the cooler... I respect Brian and Bambi greatly but don't think liquid cooling is worth the risk when this Z440 plug and play alternative is available for the Z420 and Z620 single processor builds..

Memory... you really want matching sticks in all sockets.  You have 8 sockets.  You describe slower memory (1600) than your processor can support (which is 1866).  We never, ever, run memory rated at a speed that is less than the max speed the processor can support.  Dan, our favorite HP engineer, taught us that.  The basic rules are synergistic.  A processor cannot boost slow memory.  Slow memory will drag down a processor's speed to the same slow value.

Here is some added data for your processor:

E5-2687W v2
Single sSpec code of SR19V
Cost from Intel new: 2180.00 USD

Cost from eBay used good US seller today:  130.00
8 physical cores
3.40 GHz base frequency
4.00 GHz Max Turbo Frequency
25MB Smart Cache
8 GT/s max throughput
2 QPI links (support for 2 identical processors... of no value for Z420
TDP 150W
Can run DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1866 memory... should run 1866 with this

Don't get caught up in waste of time details....

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You're running multiple threads... try to consolidate... the answer to your question is no.

Agree with DGroves.... but lets say you want max snap, truly a tiny bit more.  Big cost to run max size of HP ZTD v1... huge cost/benefit vs a modern quality SATA III SSD.  The Z Turbo Drive that works in the ZX20 would be a significant cost, and honestly a time sink project for little benefit.   You'd want the biggest version which is hard to find and quite expensive.  Instead, I'd currently run a 1TB Samsung 870 2.5" form factor SSD attached to one of the two SATA III gray ports (SATA port 0) in that $50.00 box (kudos on the great price).  Focus on how to run one or two SATA III SSDs off the two gray ports, or one SSD and one SATA III big documents HDD.  Run the Samsung with its special performance option turned on, and overprovisioning set to the default percentage.  You do those two things via the latest Samsung Magician utility version which is free from Samsung.  I also still like the Intel 545s but that is older technology..

You need to also focus on cooling more in that box... make sure to get an official HP front PCI cooler and fan kit.

I've posted on max cooling using air cooling via an about $20.00 USD Z440 cooler that is twice the cooling capacity as the stock Z420 cooler.  Best buy ever.  Works even with the original Z440 fan and fan plug if you hang one end off into space as described.  I only run the single processor builds in the Z420 and Z620 boxes now with this Z440 heatsink/fan upgrade.  Double the cooling for $20.00, HP quality?  No brainer.  My advice on the cooler... I respect Brian and Bambi greatly but don't think liquid cooling is worth the risk when this Z440 plug and play alternative is available for the Z420 and Z620 single processor builds..

Memory... you really want matching sticks in all sockets.  You have 8 sockets.  You describe slower memory (1600) than your processor can support (which is 1866).  We never, ever, run memory rated at a speed that is less than the max speed the processor can support.  Dan, our favorite HP engineer, taught us that.  The basic rules are synergistic.  A processor cannot boost slow memory.  Slow memory will drag down a processor's speed to the same slow value.

Here is some added data for your processor:

E5-2687W v2
Single sSpec code of SR19V
Cost from Intel new: 2180.00 USD

Cost from eBay used good US seller today:  130.00
8 physical cores
3.40 GHz base frequency
4.00 GHz Max Turbo Frequency
25MB Smart Cache
8 GT/s max throughput
2 QPI links (support for 2 identical processors... of no value for Z420
TDP 150W
Can run DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1866 memory... should run 1866 with this

Don't get caught up in waste of time details....

HP Recommended

When I had the original e51620 CPU in it, it recognized all of my 1600mhz ram all 64 gigs of it. And Then I bought a 6 core e5 and it then wouldn't recognize ram in slots 5 and 6. I  completely removed and reinstalled the ram but the same issue. It would only recognize 47 gigs of ram. I have 64 gigs of 14900r ECC ram. Are there any tips or tricks you can think of to help me? I ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and no problems. I don't wanna think it's a motherboard issue because this computer is a V2 and was kept in immaculate condition. And It recognized all of the memory. Also, I ordered a z440 fan and cooler as you suggested. Thank you for all of your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.