4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

hp z600 from xeon 5647 to xeon 5680

HP Recommended
hp z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello good day 

i wish some one would help me i have seen a lot of same issu but didnt know what to do 

I have a hp z600 workstation with 2 cpu`s   xeon x 5647  TDP 130 W   I purchased    2 xeon x 5680  and when installed them it says  " Requuiring a processor too much power is installed system halted "  I dont get the problem or what to do because it used to run the x 5647 (130W) Just fine !!

Any Ideas or help please 

By the wat i think the heat fan i have both are the standerd 4 pins i dont know it gives you any clue 

3 REPLIES 3
SDH
Level 10
2,276 2,230 211 659
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Z400 version 2 is certified by HP to run the X5680, but the Z600 version 2 is not.  My guess is that you have the "Performance" heatsink/fan discussed in here and rated to handle up to and including 130W processors (which your X5647 are).  However just because it "should work" does not mean that it will work.  There is more to it than what you are thinking about.  Max you can run is the X5675 or the X5672.... find a very late version of the Z600 QuickSpecs.  This is close to what you want:

http://www.dectrader.com/pdf/quickspecs/13277_na/13277_na.html

Note that your memory with your current processors cannot run faster than 1066 even if it is rated for 1333.  I personally like the X5672 for our needs in the Z600 v2.... fewer cores but faster than the X5675.

There is a "white list" and the X5680 is not on it for the Z600.  Make sure you have the latest BIOS (maybe stop at one back from the latest) to get the latest microcode where the white list resides as a part of the BIOS install.  If you have old BIOS you have an old white list, but it almost certainly will not work even if you have the latest BIOS.

obadashehadeh
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you 

Yes you are right i updated to the last Bios version and still the same problem 

so if i buy the xeon x5675 with the current heatsink and every thing   it should work right ? 

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,276 2,230 211 659
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes.... I have version 2 Z600s running with two of both of those processors  I mentioned (and are shown in the PDF) as the top quad core and the top hexacore processors for that workstation.

Your HP heatsink/fans are "Performance" type rather than the smaller "Mainstream" type.  You  can read about these and see pictures here in the forum.  The larger higher rated heatsink/fan is not required for the cooler running 95W Max TDP processors you'll be getting, but those will run them just fine.  Those are expensive and rare heatsinks/fans.... maybe you want to use the smaller lower rated ones and sell those bigger ones on eBay.

It is amazing what those processors went for originally, but they were also used in lots of fast servers so the market conditions for buying them now used is favorable to you.

The Performance heatsink/fan you have can be seen on eBay by a search for 463991-001.  Note that its plug end has 5 holes for 5 pins from the motherboard fan header.  There is a ground jumper from pin 1 to pin 5 on the plug.

The Maninstream heatsink/fan is smaller, significantly less expensive, much more common and easy to find, and has part number 463990-001.  Note that its plug end also has 5 holes but the ground jumper is missing (hole 5 is present but not used).  The fan header on the motherboard will still have 5 pins.  Either of these two heatsinks/fans will work fine for HP approved 95W max TDP processors in the Z600.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation