Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z1 g2
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I just tried to start my Z1G2 after sitting a while (6 months). After posting the hard drive info and the message "press control-I to enter configuration utility..." it beeps one time and locks up with the cursor flashing afterwards.

Steady blue light is on.

No green light

No red light.

unplugging pressing cmos reset button does nothing.

Moving/removing ram chips (2) does nothing.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@KUEI12 -- After posting the hard drive info and the message "press control-I to enter configuration utility..." it beeps one time and locks up with the cursor flashing afterwards.

It is normal to list the hard-drive information.

Probably, it is normal to BRIEFLY show that "press Control-I ..." message.

It is normal to beep ONCE, when all the hardware is OK.

So, I think that you have a problem with the software on the disk-drive.

When you power-on your computer, is there a prompt to show a "startup menu"?

On that menu, is there the option to run the HP Hardware Diagnostic?

If so, run it, and select the "short" (a minute or two) test for the disk-drive.

If it reports a "fail", then do NOT run the "long" (many minutes) test.

If it "fails", then your disk-drive is failing, and needs to be replaced.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help. There were no other prompts. Just completely locked up. I held down "delete" while pushing and releasing the start button and finally got it to load with a date/time warning. I finally figured out the problem. The CMOS battery was dead. I replaced the cr2032 battery and the problem went away.  Strange.

HP Recommended

@KUEI12 - strange.

Not really. A failed battery implies that the settings in the CMOS have been "lost".

Those settings include which device(s) the motherboard will access to try to load an Operating System.

So, if your disk-drive is no longer listed as being the "primary bootable device", the motherboard does not try to load Windows. The result is that "black screen" with a blinking cursor.

HP Recommended

Well, that is not exactly what happened. It passed the black screen with the flashing cursor and then stopped with the drive and control"I" post on the screen. So, it started the post, but never finished. It did not post the ram configuration or anything after.

So, if the Bios is stored on a EEPROM chip, I would assume it would actually have to be erased or damaged to lose boot settings. 

A dead battery would not have that effect. This would explain the ability to boot after loading a new battery.

HP Recommended

@KUEI12 --  It passed the black screen with the flashing cursor and then stopped with the drive and control"I" post on the screen.

That is an indication that it successfully completed the POST (Power On Self Test), and gave you the option to change the configuration of your disk-drive(s). 

So, it started the post, but never finished.

I disagree.

So, if the Bios is stored on a EEPROM chip, I would assume it would actually have to be erased or damaged to lose boot settings. 

I disagree. Not so much as "erased" as "forgotten", when the BIOS battery stopped giving power to the chip.

Compare to unplugging a computer from the wall -- the lack of incoming power makes the computer go off, but nothing on the computer (chip or disk-drive) is "lost", other than the running programs are "wiped" from the RAM.

A dead battery would not have that effect.

I disagree.  That's why I mentioned it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.