cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
MussaAttomaily
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

inquiry

HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello there , i need help . i have the HP z820 workstation and tried to upgrade it , but neither the 2nd cpu (which is tested and working and same as the other cpu e5 2660) or the ram added to this cpu is detected , i couldn't even find them in the system information in bios . is the motherboard faulty ? or should i enable some options in bios or make connections ?

1 REPLY 1
SDH
Level 10
2,403 2,229 226 687
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What is the boot block date, from the first tab of BIOS?  This lets you know if your Z820 is a v1 or a v2 workstation.  You would prefer the v2.  Sometimes you can run a 2-QPI v2 processor in a v1 ZX20 but virtually never two.

The E5-2660 is a v1, or a v2?

We have seen some here load two single-QPI link processors and expect that to work.  It won't.  The E5-2660 v1 and v2 both have dual-QPI links so two of them can work together in a properly matched dual socket motherboard.

Do you know the sSpec code laser etched on the stainless top surface of the processors?  It should be only SR1AB if a v2, and there are two sSpec codes for a v1... SR0GZ is the older C1 stepping and SR0KK is the newer C2 stepping.  When doing processor upgrades I always use the same stepping if I am running two processors, and also always choose the later stepping if there are two for the processor type I'm installing.

EDIT:  Oh, and I never try to run one or two HP-certified v2 processors in a v1 workstation... that is why you want to know your boot block date before you buy.  Finally, I always update my BIOS before doing a proper processor(s) update because some later processors were not included in the "microcode" portion of earlier BIOS versions. 

I harp on this:  learn how to update BIOS from within BIOS... doing that from within a functioning operating system (especially if it is W10 and the updater was built for XP/W7) adds a significant degree of risk to your motherboard's life.

1 person found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation