tosca1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

kleine sata ssd vevangen naar grotere nvmi ssd

HP Recommended
hp z230 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hallo ik zou willen weten of ik mijn kleine 128gb sata ssd kan vervangen naar een 500gb samsung 960 evo ?                                 Al vaker gelezen dat bios dat niet accepteerd ? Mijn desktop pc Hp z230 tower i5 16 gb  bj 2014 

2 REPLIES 2
kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,611 325 972
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding

I work on behalf of HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
BambiBoomZ
Level 7
721 691 46 193
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

tosca1 wrote:

"Hi, I would like to know if I can replace my small 128GB SATA SSD with a 500GB Samsung 960 Evo? Have you ever read that the BIOS does not accept that?  My desktop is:  HP z230 tower i5 / 16GB, year built: 2014."

tosca1,

As far as I know, in a z230, a 960 Evo NVMe may be used as a data drive,  but not as a boot drive C: .  The z230 can use an AHCI M.2 such as the Samsung SM951.  I use an HP Z Turbo Drive M.2 256GB G1 (Samsung SM951 AHCI) in an HP z620 with very good results: fast. 

There is one M.2 NVMe drive that may used as a boot drive in a z230, which is the Samsung 950 Pro.  That drive has a "legacy BIOS" that installs an NVMe BIOS module. On Passmark Performance Test results, there are two z230's using the 950 Pro NVMe 256GB with Disk scores of 10415 and 10170.  However, the Samsung 951 AHCI can be faster in a z230: 12732.  The highest disk score for the z230 uses Samsung 840 Evo 250GB: 25605 !  That may well be a quad RAID 0.

There are also methods to edit an earlier BIOS so that the system controller can "see" the NVMe and perhaps now that is easier to do.  There was a series of posts on using NVMe in earlier systems on this Forum.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Simplified-Install...

I hope others will comment if the situation has changed.

BambiBoomZ

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation