jacen71
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

microcode

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

im back with a new problem i have an 6600 workstation recently i upgrade the cpus to e5450 and it now freezes  on the windows boot screen and tells me i need to update the micro code how do i  do this

3 REPLIES 3
Skylarking
Level 6
382 369 22 66
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A mirocode update, if provided, is normally encapsulated within a HP BIOS update.

As such, you may want to update the BIOS of your XW6600. However, make sure you read the BIOS release notes carefully as there may be subtle requirements that you should be aware of.  Sadly, links to old BIOS release notes seem to have gone the way of the dodo so you can't cross check that HP has correctly brought forward all the subtle requirements within the older versions. As is, it looks like microcode was updated by version 01.24 of the BIOS.

FYI the latest BIOS update is version 01.46 and is availabble here. while the XW6600 download page is here.

Keep in mind that HP does not support Win10 on the XW6600 so you will only find Win7-64bit certified drivers, etc. Likely the Win7 BIOS exectutable will work without issue on Win 10 OS but i'd update BIOS from within BIOS itself or via DOS floppy drive or via bootable CD (see inside sp59217.exe using any unzip tool, such as 7-zip).

Lastly, keep in mind that HP BIOS doesn't directly state what CPU the microcode update actually allows AND there may be hardware and/or boot block issues that still can stop your desired CPU from booting. All you can do is try upgrading towards the latest BIOS and hope that resolves your boot issue.

If that doesn't work, you're into BIOS microcode hacking and possibly boot block hacking territory which may be outside your comfort zone. If you're still intereted, there are some posts on the subject for XW9400 and later systems, search the HP forum for "boot block" and "microcode" and/or the greater www...

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,274 2,228 211 657
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

xw6600 with latest BIOS/Microcode works fine with W10 Pro 64-bit, and I have updated to the Fall Creator's Update version here no problem.

The latest HP microcode will be included within the latest HP BIOS version for the xw6600, and that is easy to find via google search for "xw6600 drivers" and go to the top HP result.  Not every BIOS update has an updated microcode component.  I know of no way to dig into the microcode.  I have seen only one HP microcode upgrade that was separate from a BIOS upgrade (xw4600).

On another computer run the SP59217 you can download from the HP xw6600 drivers site.  Once the installer opens to the interface page in your OS cancel out of that fully.  Now go into C drive on that computer and look for the folder named SWSetup.  In there will be a folder named SP59217, and in there will be a DOS folder, and in that will be the .bin file you need to copy to the top level of a thumb drive.  I use the Control Panel Folder view tab option to show extensions of known file type so such things are easier to see..... it ends with ".bin".

Put that .bin file onto a regular thumb drive and take that to your xw6600 and boot up with it in place in the top front USB port..... you are not booting from the thumb drive here, you're just doing a cold boot with it inserted.  F10 during boot into BIOS, and in that first column you can select to update BIOS from within BIOS, and that will let you navigate to the thumb drive.  I forget the exact term shown, but it is obvious.  Hopefully BIOS will let you get to this point.

If you are unlucky you'll have to put back in your old processor and update your BIOS/Microcode first, and then put back in your two new matched processors.

And, this is why I recommend to always update to the latest version of BIOS before undertaking such projects........

0 Kudos
Skylarking
Level 6
382 369 22 66
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, i also have an old Dell SX280 (Prescot Pentium 4) desktop of 2005 vintage running Win 7. It needed some finessing (finding drivers, etc ) to get up and running but for the very short time i used it, it worked well. This old desktop also updated to Win10 without issue and reinstalling a fresh Win 10 also occured without any drama (from memory).

I'm yet to upgrade to Win10-FC as this 'project' was just an excersise in what could be done with old hardware. Could have been done by Dell should they have wanted to support their customers. Anyway, job doneby me for fun but the SX280 now just sits in the cupboard and gathers dust..

If i actually used this desktop, any issues i would find would be on me to resolve as such a configuration is "unsupported by Dell" while Micro$oft would handball me back to the OEM who doesn't support the later OS on that hardware... For most, this would not be worth the headache..

This above case should illustrate the point i was making in my first post that HP does not support Win10 on XW6600 (just as Dell does not support Win10 on SX280). 

What i should have clarified in my previous post is that updating BIOS obviously needs a system that can POST/boot, so reinstalling the old CPU would be needed. And due to possible esoteric issues with running a Win7 BIOS updates from within Win10 OS, it's much safer to actually update the BIOS from within BIOS itself. Thankfully @SDH clarified these points :smileywink:.

Also note that the XW660 received an updated microcode with 01.24 BIOS version. All later BIOS' did not actually update the microcode with a newer version, rather, the later BIOS versions simply repackaged the microcode that was contained within 01.24 for the convieniance of it's users. As such, it looks like HP only updated the microcode 'once' for this workstation (unless it was an undocumented update hidden from us plebs).

Lastly, Intel does (or did provide) microcode data files where the microcode can be updated post booting but obviously this wont help with non booting (Linux, ESX) systems. To update microcode via BIOS, one can extract the microcode from an existing BIOS (using BIOS mod tools in windows OS) and place the appropriate microcode data file that Intel provides back into the place we extracted the old microcode from within BIOS (again using these tools). The ease of doing this depends on the mod tools so obviously the OEM tool set would be ideal (but unattainable). Then it is just to update the firmware using this modded BIOS and one gets the new microcode inserted into the firmware :OpenSmile: QED for an OEM, not so easy for us :TongueOut:

Sadly, as we have moved to signed BIOS and UEFI firmware, this has become very difficult indeed. It's a simple thing to update the microcode with the appropriate tools but OEM want us to just buy a newer system. It's a form of designed obsolescence disguised as security that forces us to buy again and again - want an E3-1270 V2 CPU in your Z210, simply buy a z220 instead becasue HP wont update microcode !!!

As HP wont come to the party so maybe i need to revisit a microcode update hack on my z210 :Crying:

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation