Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

new Crucial 1tb ssd properly installed into slot and connected to the Drive 2 connections on the cable already used by boot drive does not show up in device manager or anywhere else.  Might as well not be there.  I looked in the f10 utility and couldn't find it or any way to search for it. 

Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Could it be "raw" with no partition or formatting?  Boot from your old drive, have that one in place too, and see if you can find it via Disk Management, in the same area you find Device Manager.  That will recognize a raw drive and partition it and let you format it.  Then it should be visible.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes it is raw; new out of the box.  However, device manager and disk manager could not be made to see it.  I called the manufacturer -- got someone overseas and hard to understand -- and was told that often the machine will not initially recognize the drive when it is installed internally, and so I should get the adapter and try it through a USB 3 port.  Apparently that often makes the difference.  If the machine sees the external drive, it can be formatted etc, and then installed internally.  Or so they say.  I have not yet gotten the adapter kit.  Once it comes, I'll find out pretty quickly.

Meanwhile, I did install the latest RSTe, but it didn't make any difference.  Good to have it, though.

HP Recommended

does the "bios" see the ssd? if not then windows  also will not see it recheck pwr and data cables

if a external usb enclosure sees the device, i would return the ssd as it most likely has firmware that has bugs in it

SATA firmware is at a point that it's well understood by the drive makers and the computer makers firmware both need to work together and if i had to choose a finger to point, in my opinion the drive maker would be first if the computer is a name brand (like your HP)

HP Recommended

Yes, I am almost to that point. The machine "saw" the SSD when connected through USB 3.  I initialized, partitioned and formatted it, and installed it internally.  Nothing at all.

SSD is made by Crucial, and guaranteed to be compatible with the Z440 workstation.  So much for guarantees, eh?

SO, I'll try the USB hookup one more time, and download a fresh up-to date firmware set into it (the thing just came out of the box, so how out of date can it be).  If it cannot be seen internally, there is one more possibility; the power/data cable in the box.  It is the original HP daisy-chain set up.  Works a dream with the Western Digital SATA disk, but maybe the second layer is defective, or maybe the SSD doesn't like to be daisy-chained.  So if the firmware fails, I'll go get a new cable and see.

HP Recommended

since the ssd is a major vender and the PC is also a major vender and many many people use crucial ssd's on HP systems

the evidence strongly points to a issue with power or data cable or the sata port on the motherboard being defective

use another power connection and a new data cable and another sata port, and if seen then narrow down which of the three is the problem maker

one last thing, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE THE SSD FIRMWARE FROM THE USB ENCLOSURE, the crucial firmware updater is not designed to interface the ssd via the usb enclosure's firmware and this may cause a bricked ssd

only run the ssd firmware updater via a SATA port

HP Recommended

Got it to work.  Took it back out, and out of curiosity, tested the SATA cable and power lead by hooking up the boot drive.  All was well.  Also downloaded and installed Crucial's Storage Executive software and looked at the SSD now in the USB set up.  SO, just on a whim, I wondered if the Crucial SSD was picky about position on the cable, so I reversed them and put the boot drive in bay 2 and the SSD in bay one.  The z440 took note at power up/boot, but all went well.  I now have a fully functional SSD.

Not sure which step in particular or a combination, but it worked.

Cheers!

J

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.