cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RegularGuy123
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

ntoskrnl - HP Z620 reboots every other day or so after updating BIOS in mid-March

HP Recommended
HP Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been having unscheduled reboots every 1-5 days since mid-March on my HP Z620 since updating my BIOS to what I think was the fix for Spectre/Meltdown. Prior to the BIOS patch, I hadn't had any issues in about a year.

I've narrowed down the error to ntoskrnl.exe. Prior to 4/14 the Critical Events would occasionally list an IAStorDataSvc - stopped working - critical error (sometimes not specified). I reinstalled Intel RSTe and didn't see that error again. After 4/14 I've got one critical event for Windows Indexing service, but nothing specific other than that, only "Windows was not properly shut down". I have run comprehensive memory scans from BIOS, Windows, I've downloaded RAM scanning apps and in total have performed 5+ full scans with no issues found there.

My Setup: HP Z620 - 64 GB RAM - 5 physical network ports 5 virtual - Most of the time I run (4) Security Onion VMs in VMWare Workstation 14.1.1, 3 sensor VMs and one master Onion VM. I sometimes serve FTP, etc. across 3 internal networks. The Security Onion doesn't note anything too odd, and I actively block any /16 that tries to attack me. Nothing on this hardware is port-forwarded, I have in the past but now I use a proxy Win10 VM on another machine for my web-facing server. I might note that I get half or more of my crashes in the mornings (7-9am PST), but also during other hours as well. Hibernate and any other power options are turned off so no power savings anything (or in BIOS).

I've included the crash report, not even sure what I'm looking for. I reinstalled Windows 10 professional on April 1 thinking that would fix it, but it hasn't.

Anybody got any ideas? 

ntoskrnl2.jpg

ntoskrnl.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it sounds like you may have installed the original (buggy)  Spectre bios update, this was removed by hp per intel's recomendation and then reissued once the random reboot/bluescreen issues were found and fixed

please revisit the z620 and if nessary redownload the latest bios update  

SP84163

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05869091

RegularGuy123
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I still had a crash a few days ago. So one crash in ~8 days, which is a big improvement. Seems like the BIOS update was a big part of what was going on, but still something else going on.

Here's a link to the DMP file if anyone is able: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GXmo-p7ju3YYqG6QA42Z0CVFZtcaWZq/view?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,481 4,464 406 933
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

check the windows log files, also if vmware is running during the crashes then you have your number one suspect 

you might want to visit the vmware forums and post there, make sure you list the hardware in use and current SATA/SAS controller/driver used

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation