Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420

Hi,

I'm trying to install the system board from the Z420 workstation in another case, since the original case cannot be upgraded with a newer PSU (ATX 2.4, which are smaller). Hence, I need the exact layout of the connector pins on the mainboard(where to connect the power button, reset button, etc.). Unfortunately, they are not described in such detail in the layout inside the original case. Can I get those details somewhere?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I'm a bit confused, the HP z420 DOES come with a optional 600 watt supply (part# 623193-001) which should be able to power just about anything you might want to install

there are also available adapters to convert the HP motherboard 24 pin custom non atx layout to standard ATX which allows a industry standard pc atx supply to be installed in the z420 mini tower case as a direct replacement

so why are you trying to move the motherboard into a diffrent case? there are no  rear /O backplates that match the z420

and rewiring the pwr button cable also involves removing the ambient tempture sensor that is embeded in the power cable

and transplanting it somehow into the new case. failure to do this will mean the z420 case fans will allways ramp up to full speed when the system is powered on.

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for you reply. I bought the Z420 (used) a few days ago, but when I wanted to install a new GPU I noticed that there was no PCIe power supply for it (8 pin) on the 600W PSU inside the workstation. Thus, I wanted to use one of my newer PSUs instead, but noticed that it was too small for the case.

According to what you wrote, I guess I'll have to find an ATX PSU which has enough wattage (at least 700W) and the required power cables.

BR

HP Recommended

i recomend you look at this utube video, about 1.30 sec in you will note he shows you the two gpu aux power connectors

https://youtu.be/OS8pWWe6iTo

that's right,...... your z420 with the 600 watt supply has two GPU aux connectors, and if you need a 6 to 8 pin adapter,....they exist

https://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Power-Adapter-Cable/dp/B001TK3TJY

or you can install your new ATX supply using this adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Eyeboot-18-Pin-Supply-Adapter-Motherboards/dp/B01HQ2JQ3G

since you seem to think that telling anyone which video card you want to install in the z420 is a no no, the above information is all that i can provide. if you change your mind and care to share with us which video card you have or want to use then perhaps we might be able to let you know if it's a recomended upgrade

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks again for your answer and the effort. I don't know if there were multiple models, or if someone just changed the PSU inside the workstation I bought, but I am missing the G2 connector. Apart from that, I seem to have all of those shown in the video.

The GPU is no secret, I just didn't think it was relevant, since most (or even all?) of the modern high performance GPUs share this requirement. It is a Tesla M40 (NVidia).

BR

HP Recommended

you were given the HP part number of the  600 watt supply for the z420 WHICH DOES HAVE DUAL GPU CONNECTIONS

if you can't be bothererd to check which supply you now have, you may not want to proceed any further and leave the system as is

HP Recommended

Only the Z420 workstations with the Xeon V1 CPUs had dual 6-pin GPU power connectors.

The Xeon V2 Z420's only have ONE 6-pin connector.  Why HP made that change is beyond me; perhaps to sell more Z620/820

You could always buy the older V1 PSU used on eBay.  They're a plug and play swap, around $35.

HP Recommended

i have several z420's in the domain that came from HP direct with v2 cpu's and they have 600 watt suplies with dual aux gpu cables, so perhaps HP made the change during the production, i have checked on the hp site and i can find no mention of this change, but i don't doubt the "OP" now that a second person has confirmed this

could the "OP" post the HP power supply numbers  on his one gpu supply so we can see if hp has changed the part number

HP Recommended

DGroves,

I have two Z420 v2 workstations here that I can check...... the first was a new case with no labels, and I loaded in a v2 motherboard.  It came with the lower wattage power supply which has zero PCIe supplemental power cables.  The second is a true Z420 v2 straight from HP with the higher wattage power supply and with one PCIe supplemental power cable.

I'll get the part number for that second one.

HP Recommended

Correct this only applies to the 600W power supplies.  The Xeon V1 CPUs has two PCIE connectors and the V2 has one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.