Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We are trying to upgrade Windows 10 version 1909 to Windows 10 22H2 on our HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT.

No matter what we have tried so far, we continue to see error code "0xC1900101-0x20017" after a total ROLL-BACK.

Delving deeper, we discovered that a phantom "IDE" device is showing up in Device Manager, EVEN THOUGH this motherboard has no on-board PATA sockets (for Parallel ATA HDDs or ODDs).

A search of the Internet for that error code finds results that suspect a device driver as the reason for the ROLL-BACK and fatal error code.  But, our efforts to locate such a driver in the update logs turned up empty.

We have also tried to locate an "IDE" device in the motherboard BIOS, but there is no such device or controller listed there.

We have set SATA Emulation to AHCI, NOT IDE.

The motherboard documentation also confirms that this PC does not support ANY IDE devices (none).

This is a tough one, and we're a bit tired of so many trials-and-errors, with no success to date.

Microsoft now says they intend to FORCE 22H2 on all Windows 10 users (?).

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

software related issues can be hard to pin down and since you are using a old release of win 10 currently and having problems with a in place update, consider doing a clean install, this method can save you much time and frustration

I personally have a 6300 pro (SFF model) which uses the exact same motherboard,.. and windows 10 22H2 64bit installs without any issues and includes all necessary drivers for this models hardware short of some add in discrete video cards and printer drivers

i would simply backup your existing data, download the win 10 installer of your choice (usb key or Iso) install the OS and be done with it

HP Recommended

Re:  "this method can save you much time and frustration"

I do appreciate your consideration for my time and frustration.

By "clean install" I infer that I will need to re-install ALL third-party software, a licensed copy of MS WORD, custom FTP software for website maintenance, and a collection of other utilities.

That requirement does NOT save me much time and frustration.

I can save much time and frustration by simply GIVING UP!!

I was quite unhappy reading at msn.com that MS now intends to FORCE 22H2 on all Windows 10 PCs.

I will NOT allow MS to FORCE anything on me.  If nothing else, the tone of that intent is OFFENSIVE.

Because it is the MS OS update that is issuing the fatal error message,

at a very MINIMUM MS system software should provide a lot more information about any incompatible driver(s).

I have done systems programming many years ago: 

that is the minimum any system administrator has every reason to expect.

FYI:  long Topic now at askwoody [dot] com :

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/0xc1900101-0x20017-trying-to-upgrade-an-hp-compaq-pro-6300-mt-...

HP Recommended

Can  you please reply with the motherboard BIOS version currently installed in your SFF PC?

We've confirmed that a "phantom driver" is present in my HP Compaq Pro 6300 MT.

Device Manager finds:  "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"

but this motherboard does not have ANY IDE/PATA sockets -- NONE!

That "phantom driver" is not present in our SFF with the exact same motherboard,

but the latter SFF PC has an older motherboard BIOS version!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.