Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
XW9400

I do not have the Front USB assembly for this machine, and I was wondering if it is possible to disable the diagnostic message that appears at boot and which requires the user to press F1 to boot.

Alternatively, I can install a Front USB assembly. I purchased one which appears to be incompatible, since installing it did not remove the boot message. It is of the following type:

USB 2.0 Type A Fem. to 5-Pin Fem. Header Motherboard Cable Cord (AF/5Pin 0.1M)

Is there a recommended place to purchase a compatible item, or possibly the original, if it not too expensive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Go HERE .

http://www.dectrader.com/pdf/Products/AY431US_HP_xw9400_Workstation-Spare_Part_Numbers.html

Search for I/O on that link... there will be only 1 result.  That has an Assembly part number of 417817-001

Most HP parts have both an AS P/N and a SP P/N (Spares part number) for the exact same thing.  A part may be used in different workstations over time but may have different numbers in that case.  The xw8400 and xw9400 are in the same family... stepchildren, but share many of the same parts.  The SP P/N for 417817-001 is 390373-003.  Look for both on eBay, and you will find more under that SP P/N.  Those cases are larger than the xw6400 so it makes sense that HP would likely use the I/O assembly from the xw8400 (and maybe the xw8600) also in the xw9400.

In BIOS in some of the HP workstations there is an option to ignore system-recoverable stops, and if you choose that usually the F1 push is no longer shown.... the boot will simply proceed without that notice or need.  The front I/O assembly is nice, however, if you are building up a box with the original type case.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Go HERE .

http://www.dectrader.com/pdf/Products/AY431US_HP_xw9400_Workstation-Spare_Part_Numbers.html

Search for I/O on that link... there will be only 1 result.  That has an Assembly part number of 417817-001

Most HP parts have both an AS P/N and a SP P/N (Spares part number) for the exact same thing.  A part may be used in different workstations over time but may have different numbers in that case.  The xw8400 and xw9400 are in the same family... stepchildren, but share many of the same parts.  The SP P/N for 417817-001 is 390373-003.  Look for both on eBay, and you will find more under that SP P/N.  Those cases are larger than the xw6400 so it makes sense that HP would likely use the I/O assembly from the xw8400 (and maybe the xw8600) also in the xw9400.

In BIOS in some of the HP workstations there is an option to ignore system-recoverable stops, and if you choose that usually the F1 push is no longer shown.... the boot will simply proceed without that notice or need.  The front I/O assembly is nice, however, if you are building up a box with the original type case.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.