Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z440

Hello. I recently bought a refurbished Z440 online, and some ECC ram for it (64gb, 4 sticks of dual rank registered ECC ram). I have been able to install the RAM, and the computer runs just fine.

However, upon bootup I get warning 539 - Power supply wattage insufficient for LR dimm memory configuration

The thing is, the power supply says that it is a 700W power supply on the side of it. I believe that this is the "high power" option for the Z440 anyways, and regardless since I am running an SSD and no graphics card, 700W should be more than enough for one 150w CPU and 4 sticks of memory regardless of what type the memory is.

I cant even find any documentation as to which power supply would be required, or which one the computer thinks it has. Maybe it actually thinks 700W is insufficient and I need 1200W or something?? But I dont, because I have no graphics card.

Basically I just want the warning to go away. I know the power supply is sufficient. Otherwise I have to be present to press enter every time the machine reboots, which is a headache. I am open to any suggestions other than removing the memory! 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

yes the 700 watt supply is the optional upgraded one (stock is 525 watt) and you should have a 140 watt cpu installed like a xeon 1680 v4 cpu

"LR" (load reduced) dimms are not recommended for the z440 i suspect the error warning will not appear once the correct ram is installed

DDR4-2133 ECC Registered DIMMs
16GB DDR4-2133 ECC Registered RAM J9P83AA 1,2
8GB DDR4-2133 ECC Registered RAM J9P82AA 1,2
HP 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4-2400 ECC Reg RAM T9V41AA 1,2
HP 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4-2400 ECC Reg RAM T9V40AA 1,2
HP 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4-2400 ECC Reg RAM T9V39AA 1,2
HP 4GB (1x4GB) DDR4-2400 ECC Reg RAM T9V38AA 1,2

NOTES:
For details on the supported memory configurations on the HP Z440 Workstation, please refer to the
System Technical Specifications - System Board section of this document.
Each processor supports up to 4 channels of DDR4 memory. To realize full performance at least 1
DIMM must be inserted into each channel.
The CPUs determine the speed at which the memory is clocked. If an 2133MT/s capable CPU is used in
the system, the maximum speed the memory will run at is 2133MT/s, regardless of the specified
speed of the memory.

NOTE 1: ONLY registered DDR4 DIMMs are supported. DDR3 DIMMs ARE NOT SUPPORTED.
NOTE 2: Configurations of greater than 4x memory DIMMs or that include 32GB DIMMs require the HP
Z440 Memory Cooling Solution, which is available both CTO (J2R51AV) and AMO (J2R52AA).

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04400038.pdf

HP Recommended

Hmmm ok so I think I miiight see what you mean. On page 65 of this document, HP specifically mentions the use of LRDIMMS but *only* in relation to the Z640 or Z840. (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04823811)

I pulled up images of the motherboards for Z440 and Z640. The power connector to the CPU and RAM section for  is identical. So no worries there..

I suppose it is possible that the system designers expected LRDIMMs to be used in 128gb memory configurations... 

But I'm still not 100% convinced of the argument that the error message is due to lazy checking of hardware. (I get the error with only a single stick in, when clearly I am not going to exceed any power supply limits anywhere with a 700W supply)

Is there a way to tell what power supply the system thinks it has installed? 

and finally, is there a way to completely disable error checking so that this message does not appear?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.