Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

can i oprate nvidia gtx 1080 sli 2x on hpz 820 with 1250 w power 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mohamedar80, welcome to the forum.

I have read through the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation and can't see any mention of SLI.  You can go to Page 35 to see what it has to say about graphics cards.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@mohamedar80, welcome to the forum.

I have read through the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation and can't see any mention of SLI.  You can go to Page 35 to see what it has to say about graphics cards.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

most likely yes, I have seen such setup with dual GTX Titan X working in z820

you need to get proper SLI bridge and some PCIE VGA power adaptors, If I remember correctly, z820 has 3x 6pin aux vga power cables, so you need 6pin to dual 6pin splitter for 3rd cable, assuming 1080 needs 2x6pin each.

Also get 1080 only with Quadro style heatsink (blower), triple fan heatsink designs might not fit into chassis

HP Recommended

No, the HP workstations do not support consumer nvidia cards in SLI

HP only supports the professional "Quadro" line in SLI mode, and HP only lists some quadro models as SLI certified

they have not licsened the consumer line from nvidia for the z8xx/z6xx workstation lines

which is why it does not work. as i recall nvidia requires you use a specific chip(s) which their driver looks for and if not found it will not enable SLI, this is somewhat how the  quadro/consumer drivers determine what card they will run on

however the AMD SLI  has no such firmware restrictions, and will work 

HP Recommended

yes, there might be some drivers/firmware obstacles now from Nvidia, when I will have time, I will test it in real life, I got 2 1080Ti and z840 and SLI bridge. I have seen working 2 Titans in z820 in SLI long time ago, but do not know current status. I will post the result here.

HP Recommended

https://www.nvidia.com/object/sli-certified-systems-and-motherboards.html

early consumer drivers were able to be "hacked" to allow SLI, later (current) drivers have not been hacked

and there is little benefit nowadays to do so as the 1070/1080 cards are quite fast by themselves and

when used as a single card do not have all of the issues that SLI can pose such as non SLI profile, and poor SLI speeds

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.