Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've searched across the forum but couldnt find reply on the following question:

i would like to use two GPU, one is 160W with 6-pin connector and second one is 235W with 2x6-pin connectors.

I have only 2x6-pin connectors, what adapter\partno do i need in order to run two GPUs?Can i use a sort of splitter?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the z840 like the z820 with the 1275 watt upgraded supply should have 3 six pin gpu power connectors, so no adapters/splitters should be needed for your stated configuration

the stock 850 watt supply only has two six pin gpu connectors (GPU-1) if you have this supply you can not run your listed two video cards!!!

two gpu connectors are on GPU-1 rail

one  gpu connector is on GPU-2 rail

normally you want the  card with the two six pin connectors to be using a connector from each GPU rail (1 and 2)

this splits the load so each power rail is supplying only 115 watts, but since you will be using two video cards

placing the 235 watt card on GPU-1 using both 6 pin connectors and the 160 watt card on GPU-2  is preferred in this case as gpu- is now 235 watts max, and gpu-2 is 160 watts max

note both gpu rails will be using just under 400 watts total,...... which is pushing the system to what HP specs as a safe wattage

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

and second question , can i use P4000 in combinations with K40? where to find this information and what adapters are needed?

HP Recommended

the z840 like the z820 with the 1275 watt upgraded supply should have 3 six pin gpu power connectors, so no adapters/splitters should be needed for your stated configuration

the stock 850 watt supply only has two six pin gpu connectors (GPU-1) if you have this supply you can not run your listed two video cards!!!

two gpu connectors are on GPU-1 rail

one  gpu connector is on GPU-2 rail

normally you want the  card with the two six pin connectors to be using a connector from each GPU rail (1 and 2)

this splits the load so each power rail is supplying only 115 watts, but since you will be using two video cards

placing the 235 watt card on GPU-1 using both 6 pin connectors and the 160 watt card on GPU-2  is preferred in this case as gpu- is now 235 watts max, and gpu-2 is 160 watts max

note both gpu rails will be using just under 400 watts total,...... which is pushing the system to what HP specs as a safe wattage

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.