bja8400
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

upgrade for xw8400 CPU

HP Recommended
xw8400 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP xw8400 desktop. It has: (2 processors) Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz / 3.00 GHz  Installed RAM is 32.0 GB with a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

Computer runs slow and hot. It runs ok (slow but ok) for a while, but when the software I use speeds up, I get a notice that says CPU is at max 100% copacity. (It can't keep up with the only software I am running)  It also loses internet connection at times. but reconnects pretty quickly on its own.  

I've been told the computer is too old to fit my needs, and I should purchase a new one. I thought I might check first to see if I can upgrade the CPU's and whatever else that would imporve performance.  Will this work to speed up comuter?  Is there another fan source that would cool the computer better?

Because I am not that computer savvy, I obviously need advice, and I will need some help with installation. Perhaps a clue as to how to find reliable installer near me?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

3 REPLIES 3
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  It has:

> (2 processors) Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz / 3.00 GHz 

> Installed RAM is 32.0 GB with a 64-bit operating system

> Computer runs slow and hot.

I find it strange that such a "beefy" system should be labelled as "slow" and "hot".

Reboot. Open the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the "Performance" tab, and tell us what percentage of each listed resource is being consumed.

Near the bottom of that window, click "Resource Monitor", and click to its "Performance" tab.

You can "drill-down" to see which processes are using the most CPU power, or which files are being accessed.

Tell us what you see.

bja8400
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am performing the tasks you instructed.

FYI: the software I use is open and running, however it is not running at usual speed as it's source of data is currently OFFLINE until Sunday evening around 3 pm PST. Even then the data doesn't come at max speed until 6-7 am Monday (M-F) morning, which is when I experience the problems.  The faster the data input the slower the computer becomes, and I get the CPU capacity notifications. So taking these readings during high speed data time could provide more pertainent informaiton.

Under Task Mgr:

CPU reads from 7-30% GHz   

Memory = 3.3/32. BG;   Disk O (C:) 0%  

Ethernet says Not Connected

Ethernet S: 0- 25% R: 0-50 Kbps   

Wi-Fi S: 0 R: 0 Kbps

Resource Monitor is open but only tabs are: Overview; CPU; Memory; Disk; Network. No "Performance tab" here.

OVERVIEW  shows

CPU 10% usage with 70% Maximum Frequency  

Disk 4-40 KB/sec DiskI/O with 2% Highest Active Time

Network 57 Kbps Network I/O 0% Network Utilization  

Memory: 0 Hard Faults/sec 9% Used Physical Memory

I am not sure if that's the information you need. I will report these numbers when PC is at full capacity Monday morning.

I  use this computer to run only one particular software and occasionally for GoToWebinars. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,696
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Under Task Mgr:

> CPU reads from 7-30% GHz   

> Memory = 3.3/32. BG;   

> Disk O (C: )  0%  

> Ethernet S: 0- 25% R: 0-50 Kbps   

That is a computer that is mostly "idle", using only 10% of the 32 GB of RAM.

> Resource Monitor OVERVIEW  shows

> CPU 10% usage with 70% Maximum Frequency  

> Disk 4-40 KB/sec Disk I/O with 2% Highest Active Time

> Network 57 Kbps Network I/O 0% Network Utilization  

> Memory: 0 Hard Faults/sec 9% Used Physical Memory

Again, mostly "idle", at the time that you measured it.

Is the air being exhausted from the power-supply "warm" or "hot" ?

Do you feel a breeze -- you should, if the fan is working correctly.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation