Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Once I remove the CPU and put the new one in and apply the thermal gel and spread it on and apply the new heatsink, how do I screw it back on?  For example, do I do top right screw then bottom left screw, top left and bottom right?

Above The Firehouse
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Yes, exactly that pattern, but for only 1.5 to 2.0 full turns at a time, then repeat.  You will then bottom out gently about at the same time for the four, then back off about 1/2 turn and gently hand tighten to the same level of tightness for all.  This ensures all go down about the same amount as you proceed, and all get the same torque at that final step.

Be very careful setting the processor in the correct way.  There is a small corner spot that you can identify on both the processor and the socket so you get it in the correct way the first time.  You don't want to bend any of those delicate pins at the bottom of the socket.

It can be handy to remove things in the area, like memory and memory cooling fans so you have room in there to do it right.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.