Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What are the front & back usb ports for please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As you know there are 4 versions of the Elite 8300, the Ultra-Slim, the Small Form Factor, the MicroTower, and the Convertable MiniTower.  I'll assume yours is the SFF or the CMT, and the MT also uses the same motherboard, so the USB ports on those 3 are all the same.

A good source of info is the HP QuickSpecs for this, and the latest one you can find is best.  There is a v20 one here:

https://shop.itema-pg.com/userfiles/editor/file/HPCompaqElite8300BusinessPCDec2012.pdf   and a service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03612798.pdf

On the front there are 4 USB2 ports, slower.  On the rear there are 4 USB3 ports, faster with more power output possible.  There also are 2 added USB2 ports on the rear.  Blue plastic inside the port equals USB3; black or white equals USB2.  You can bring a USB3 extension forward from one of your USB3 ports to get easy access to the higher USB3 speed and power if you would use that.  I like the black USB3 version (with blue plastic inside the single port) from StarTech (USB3SEXT5DKB) but they also make a fully blue USB3 version (USB3SEXT5DSK).  Make sure you get the USB3 version if you go black because there is an old all-black USB2 version with no blue plastic inside the port.  The all-blue version is only USB3.  You also could add a powered USB3 hub to bring multiple USB3 ports out front.... USB3 is so much faster than USB2 that if you use USB much it is well worth having in easy reach.  Anker makes some excellent powered hub ones....  At least consider one of those single port StarTech versions:

Blue plastic USB3 version.jpg

Video:  Comes with built in video but much better can be had by adding a video card.  If you do this turn off the on-board video hardware in BIOS after you have the card installed.  The SFF needs a low profile bracket but the larger two can use the normal full height bracket.  The Quadro K620 is better than the K600 (which has a smaller more-noise fan).  I get these used off eBay, and nVidia is still providing driver updates for the K versions of the Quadro cards.  This is an example of a K620 with the nicer larger quieter fan:

nVidia Quadro K620.jpg

It has a Dual-Link DVI port at the bottom and a Display Port port above.  For that upper port I like the HP DP-to-DVI adapters from eBay,, and the latest versions are nice... search for 752660-001.  It looks like this:

752660-001.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

As you know there are 4 versions of the Elite 8300, the Ultra-Slim, the Small Form Factor, the MicroTower, and the Convertable MiniTower.  I'll assume yours is the SFF or the CMT, and the MT also uses the same motherboard, so the USB ports on those 3 are all the same.

A good source of info is the HP QuickSpecs for this, and the latest one you can find is best.  There is a v20 one here:

https://shop.itema-pg.com/userfiles/editor/file/HPCompaqElite8300BusinessPCDec2012.pdf   and a service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03612798.pdf

On the front there are 4 USB2 ports, slower.  On the rear there are 4 USB3 ports, faster with more power output possible.  There also are 2 added USB2 ports on the rear.  Blue plastic inside the port equals USB3; black or white equals USB2.  You can bring a USB3 extension forward from one of your USB3 ports to get easy access to the higher USB3 speed and power if you would use that.  I like the black USB3 version (with blue plastic inside the single port) from StarTech (USB3SEXT5DKB) but they also make a fully blue USB3 version (USB3SEXT5DSK).  Make sure you get the USB3 version if you go black because there is an old all-black USB2 version with no blue plastic inside the port.  The all-blue version is only USB3.  You also could add a powered USB3 hub to bring multiple USB3 ports out front.... USB3 is so much faster than USB2 that if you use USB much it is well worth having in easy reach.  Anker makes some excellent powered hub ones....  At least consider one of those single port StarTech versions:

Blue plastic USB3 version.jpg

Video:  Comes with built in video but much better can be had by adding a video card.  If you do this turn off the on-board video hardware in BIOS after you have the card installed.  The SFF needs a low profile bracket but the larger two can use the normal full height bracket.  The Quadro K620 is better than the K600 (which has a smaller more-noise fan).  I get these used off eBay, and nVidia is still providing driver updates for the K versions of the Quadro cards.  This is an example of a K620 with the nicer larger quieter fan:

nVidia Quadro K620.jpg

It has a Dual-Link DVI port at the bottom and a Display Port port above.  For that upper port I like the HP DP-to-DVI adapters from eBay,, and the latest versions are nice... search for 752660-001.  It looks like this:

752660-001.jpg

HP Recommended

Very many thanks for your kind info and help. That you have given your time renews my confidence in human nature. I will study this and benefit from it.

Best regards.

Terry 147

HP Recommended

Terry,

Happy to help.  We have one of those that my wife uses in the kitchen quite a bit.  Still running strong on the latest W10 build, and I can help you with that turning off of the internal video BIOS setting change later if you choose to go with that K620 card.  The speed of that is so much better...

HP Recommended

Many thanks, will get back to you later. It takes a bit of understanding as at nearly 80 I have only just come off carbon paper and broken pencils.

Terry

HP Recommended

Terry... have no fear.  We will help you through whatever you need.  Check what processor yours has.... you can even upgrade the processor with a used one off eBay.  I've done that also quite a bit in multiple workstations for our company, and I'd consider that an advanced move but potentially worth it.  

If you look at pages 6-7 of the v20 QuickSpecs link above you'll see the processors that these can run.  Ours at home is the fastest "3rd generation core i5-3570" and I may eventually upgrade it to the 3rd gen i7-3770 noted there on page 6 (under the column for the 3 E8300s using the same motherboard).  That i7 has a sSpec code of SR0PK, which can be searched for on eBay, with current price from a good US seller of about 70.00 USD.  One step down from that is the fastest i5 listed, i5-3570, with sSpec code SR0T7 for about 37.00 USD used on eBay.  At least take a look at what you have... I'd start with the video card upgrade first.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.