Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
xw6400 Workstation
Microsoft Windows Server 2019

Hi,

Old Graphics Card: Nvidia NVS 300

NEW Graphics Card: Nvidia Quadro K2200

I've recently tried to upgrade the Graphics Card in this workstation and it seemed to have detected the new graphics card briefly for 1 boot cycle and let me install the drivers, and it did show up in Device Manager so it is fully supported. I've tried reseating the card and tried the PCIe slots with the old working graphics card and that seems to work fine in any slot. Could the motherboard be faulty and not supplying enough power to the new graphics card? Or the card could be dead... If so I'll have to RMA it.

I don't have any other motherboards to be able to test the graphics card on. 

The K2200 does have fanspin when I power it on, but if I just have that single card installed then I get the 6 beeps with the red flashing led, which means a graphics error apparently. When I have both the NV300 and K2200 plugged in device manager only shows the 1 NVS300 card and not the K2200. 

I'm running Windows Server 2019, 2 x Xeon E5345, 16GB DDR2 ECC Memory, 256GB SSD, 2TB WD Purple.

Not sure if I've forgotten any details I need to add.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the K2200 is a UEFI enabled video card, the xw6400 is not UEFI it's a legacy only bios as such the card will not work in this system

consider upgrading the xw6400 to a z420/z440 which are UEFI enabled and will support current video cards i would not consider the z400 which is not a UEFI based system the newer systems are much much faster and except for the z440 quite cheap to buy no matter where you live

Edit: i pulled my xw6400 quickspecs up and found that the the xw6400 top ("primary") video slot can feed 52 watts up to the inserted card, while the lower PCIe x16 slot can only feed 25 watts

your k2200 card draws about 70 watts which is over the HP specced 50 watt limit

again consider upgrading the system, if you need to keep the xw6400 unique ram investment look for a xw8600/xw6600 although i still strongly recommend a a420/z440 based system

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

the K2200 is a UEFI enabled video card, the xw6400 is not UEFI it's a legacy only bios as such the card will not work in this system

consider upgrading the xw6400 to a z420/z440 which are UEFI enabled and will support current video cards i would not consider the z400 which is not a UEFI based system the newer systems are much much faster and except for the z440 quite cheap to buy no matter where you live

Edit: i pulled my xw6400 quickspecs up and found that the the xw6400 top ("primary") video slot can feed 52 watts up to the inserted card, while the lower PCIe x16 slot can only feed 25 watts

your k2200 card draws about 70 watts which is over the HP specced 50 watt limit

again consider upgrading the system, if you need to keep the xw6400 unique ram investment look for a xw8600/xw6600 although i still strongly recommend a a420/z440 based system

HP Recommended

Also, the xw6400 video card slots are both only PCIe gen I slots.  In the xw6600 HP went up to gen 2 speed for those two slots.  In the Z420/Z620 analog to your xw6400 they went up to PCIe gen 3 speeds.

A long time ago we shifted from the xw6400 to the xw6600, but the Z420/Z620 version 2 workstations is now our go-to foundation for our medical workstation build-on-a-budget.  That K2200 is very fast in those ZX20 boxes.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies, I ended up returning the K2200 back to the seller for a refund and they have told me that it was DoA anyways. I'll just stick to the NVS 300 for now since it's not running headless and not requiring the power anyways.

I'll consider upgrading the entire system at somepoint then. I only bought it to use as a basic cheap server and wanted to upgrade a few bits at a low cost. The RAM investment wasn't that bad anyways since I managed to get my hands on a joblot on the cheap.

HP Recommended

the nvidia 8800GT card will work in a xw6400/8400  or 6600/8600 and not overload the power supply or produce excessive heat

for a server based system, i agree stick with the nvidia 3xx series of video card

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.