Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
xw6400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an XW6400 with twin quad cores. For years it worked fine as a twin quad core, until some clever idiot ( me) decided to build it back up from scratch. I removed motherboard battery. 

I have BIOS v2.58  from file sp51221.exe.  I have Windows 7 home premium  64 bit SP1

When I did have 8 cores working I would get 8 graphs when in TASK MANAGER>Perfomance.

The CPU's that worked as twin quad cores are Intel Xeon E5345 @2.33GHz, and now only one is working but DEVICE MANAGER> Proccessors .Detects 8 cores listed. I have tried to uninstalll all the proccessors and reboot. I have set the value to 1 in MSCONFIG>advanced> set number of proccessors. I have also set it to 4. But alas still one processor detected.

This only happened when I did the rebuild.

I would love all my cores back please. I would be so grateful for any help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Little typo.... your BIOS is 2.38, the latest available.

Here is your answer:  "Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor.  Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers.  Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor."

Microsoft source is  HERE.  Think of BIOS as a primative operating system..... it gets you into the early phase of booting up and thus BIOS can let you see the  presence of things which your main OS may be programmed to not detect or work with (such as your second processor in this case).

Buying a W7Pro64 bit System Builder license/DVD, still available HERE, can give you an added benefit.  From that OS you also can upgrade to W10Pro64 on that workstation.... there are still several ways to do that at no added cost, and xw6400 workstations with 2 of your processors work quite well under W10Pro64.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Please review this tutorial on how to enable all processors or cores.

To Have Windows 7 Use All Processors or Cores

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Little typo.... your BIOS is 2.38, the latest available.

Here is your answer:  "Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor.  Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers.  Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor."

Microsoft source is  HERE.  Think of BIOS as a primative operating system..... it gets you into the early phase of booting up and thus BIOS can let you see the  presence of things which your main OS may be programmed to not detect or work with (such as your second processor in this case).

Buying a W7Pro64 bit System Builder license/DVD, still available HERE, can give you an added benefit.  From that OS you also can upgrade to W10Pro64 on that workstation.... there are still several ways to do that at no added cost, and xw6400 workstations with 2 of your processors work quite well under W10Pro64.

HP Recommended

I think you hit the nail on the head. Yes I had Windows 7 Pro. After my rebuild the Pro product code was not visible, so I installed Home premium and that is when I noticed the missing CPU.  My last option was to buy a new porccessor, but at £10 it did not break the bank. I have now got a new install of Windows 7 Ultimate.  I will install in a few days. I have a feeling that is the problem. I had changed everything in msconfig and unistalled proccessors, I follwed everything I could find on the internet and feel a but stupid that I did not realise this. I shall confirm the install as soon as I have done it. It will be so nice to have all my cores back.

HP Recommended

Do you have your original hard drive?  If so you can boot from it and capture your original W7ProCOA..... there are little utilities that let you do that, and it is legal to know your COA codes.

If it was from HP have your captured your "Restore" media from that drive?  Best is onto a thumb drive, 8GB size is perfect, with lots of room to spare.  If you use Restore media it will give you the single HP OEM COA code.  That code cannot be used with a clean install from a W7Pro64 system builder DVD, however.

Ultimate..... I have had some very bad experiences with that versus W7Pro64.  However, it may be due to an issue with Windows Update.  Find my post on that issue.... critical..... and the solution has to do with starting the install with zero internet connection, adding two MS updates, and thereafter hooking up to the internet for proper update experience.  There is a very bad bug in Windows Update that to my knowledge has not been fixed yet, but this is the way around it.

Search that out before you begin.

HP Recommended

Here is the link you need..... 57 pages, but you only need Ken's breakthrough on the fist page.  The key is to initially not be connected to the internet to avoid a quick update you cannot avoid otherwise... it almost is like a trap.  Download those two updates he recommends before you do the clean install so you have them on a thumb drive ready to go when you need them before hooking back to the net.

I have wasted so many hours on this issue, especially because I tend to do clean installs from scratch.  This is exactly for people doing clean installs from scratch.

I'll post for you later on how to get the small system reserved W7 partition.... W7/8/10 all want that and you need to do ir right.

Here's that link and maybe this will fix the problems I had with Ultimate.  I'll never try to install Ultimate again, however.

link HERE

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/following-a-clean-install-windows...

HP Recommended

Here is the method to ensure that you get the small but important "system reserved" pratition on your W7-10 clean installs.  This is more important than most realize, and it is quite hard to get it on after the build has been done.

Look  HERE.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/W7-Clean-Install-Ti...

Look HERE to see why I'll not ever try to install W7 Ultimate again... I don't have that much time to waste.  And, I've heard about this too often from others....  Think of the volume of W7Pro64 vs Ultimate.... guess which one has had more improvements over the years.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Clean-install-Windo...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.