Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
xw6400 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

Hi,

I don't know if anyone out there knows, but can someone tell me the form factor of the motherboard? or is it a custom one as I'm looking for a replacement case to make it more presentable as a home server sitting in the living room.

My Guess is that it's a Standard ATX form factor, but I've not had much experience with the hardware still.

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the xw6400 is a "semi" custom board/case/power supply

while it can be modded into another case, due to its age/performance i don't recommend doing so better to replace the system

board is mostly a AT compatible in regards to mounting hole location, but a custom mounting bracket for the cpu(s) needs to be made

power supply pinout is not atx compatible, as one line needs to be changed/rerouted on the 24 pin connector

custom cooling needs to be created for the FB Dimms on the motherboard

the audio/USB connections are not standard and the bios will post a press F1 msg on each boot up unless you keep the stock i/o panel cable/bracket

all of the above can be overcome, i've personally modded a 6400 board to a ATX case some years ago but would not do so today as there are much better alternatives 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

the xw6400 is a "semi" custom board/case/power supply

while it can be modded into another case, due to its age/performance i don't recommend doing so better to replace the system

board is mostly a AT compatible in regards to mounting hole location, but a custom mounting bracket for the cpu(s) needs to be made

power supply pinout is not atx compatible, as one line needs to be changed/rerouted on the 24 pin connector

custom cooling needs to be created for the FB Dimms on the motherboard

the audio/USB connections are not standard and the bios will post a press F1 msg on each boot up unless you keep the stock i/o panel cable/bracket

all of the above can be overcome, i've personally modded a 6400 board to a ATX case some years ago but would not do so today as there are much better alternatives 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.