Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

z200 bios reset

z200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have upgraded the graphics card in my z200. I've made a school boy error in the BIOS settings and have essentially disabled the PCIe slots.

My machine is running with a Xeon processor, so the on board graphics are not supported.

I've found the instructions to reset the CMOS; which seems not to work. Online research suggests the CMOS reset doesn't always work correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can un-brick my work station.
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

z200 bios reset

Hi John,

Did you ever resolve this? I'm a bit frantic as it seems I've made the exact same mistake

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,182 3,174 268 624
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

z200 bios reset

what setting did either of you change?

a full cmos reset can be done by removing the power cord, then pressing the power button for 6 sec, now open the case and remove the cmos battery and if your board has a cmos button press that for 3 sec

now reinsert the battery and pwr cord and power on, enter the bios and reset the time/date

if you enabled the bios "compute" option (if available) you need a different method to fix the no video issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

z200 bios reset

Thanks for the reply! What I did (foolishly) was disable the PCI slots in the devices section of bios. Incorrectly thinking this would enable onboard video... Now I get the 6 beep video error and utilizing bios reset as you suggested doesn't seem to make a difference. Not sure on the "compute" option. It doesn't ring a bell but is there no other way to regain PCI functionality?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
3,182 3,174 268 624
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

z200 bios reset

if you disabled the pci-e slots, buy a usb to vga dongle  note that some require drivers, you want a driverless or one this method should allow you to enter the bios or if you have a pci (not pci-e) slot buy a monochrome pci card

also, removing the add in video card should auto enable the onboard video

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation