Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Tower Workstation (ENERGY STAR)

I have updated the BIOS, and gone through the end of the line with HP support.

My fans are running at 100 all the time, all fans, CPU, case, PSU.

This issue occurred after I plugged the 6 pin PCIE power outlet into a  GPU with an 8 pin PCIE power receiver. The GPU would not start.

I removed the 8 pin GPU and put back the Quadro K2220, which requires no additional power supply.

CPU utliization and temperatures are low, disk is low. Memory is 6/8GB most of the time. GPU is less than 5%. 

Is there anyway to resolve this issue without changing the motherboard or the PSU? Is there a setting that can be adjusted to throttle the fans?

Thanks everyone.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

some more information is needed

did you by chance plug in the 6 pin z240 gpu cable into the video card wrong?  while it's keyed i've seen people still insert it wrong ( such as starting it from the wrong end) thus placing 12v on lines that were actually for ground

what was the video card model, and why did you not use a 6 to 8 pin adapter?  it's also possible the video card draws  more wattage than the 6 pin can provide

The PCI Express slot of the motherboard can provide up to 75 watts to the graphics card. the 6-pin power connector can provide up to 75 watts which means 140 watts total if your card pulls near the 150 watts that a 8 pin gpu connector can provide you may have damaged the power supply

i would replace the HP power supply, and try again with a card that  has a 6 pin gpu connector

or install a 650 watt (or better) ATX supply and use a adapter to connect the ATX supply to the z240 motherboard

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B06XW7RWNH

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

The 6 pin male was received in the 8 pin female only one way, so the 12v probably did not go to the ground component.

The GPU is a MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6.

Is there anyway to adjust the fan speed. It seems weird that all the fans are at 100, PSU, CPU, case.  I was hoping there is a setting to access where the fans can be turned down a bit.

Is there any gurantee that if I upgrade the PSU that the fans will return to their normal speed?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.