Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

z240 xeon with a single NVME HP disk.

Worked excellently with 16gig memory until today when I got +32gig upgrade for this device.

2x16gig dimms 1.2v and all the other specs from the manual.

After I installed the memory, it gave me a 3F0 on boot, i.e. no boot disk.

I looked in the BIOS - sure enough there is no disk. However, I did not touch the disk.

Well, I then removed the NVME disk, looked at it [as if it would help], and put it back in.

Anyway, anything I tried - the z240 cannot see any disks. Even spinning disks are not showing up.

I removed every peripheral, yet not seeing the disks.

What are my options?

Thank you,

-alexm

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Also, this is the HP NVMe disk. I dont remember the model but it's the one that came with it. A 512MB NVMe disk.

HP Recommended

Xroot,

As the only chenge to the system was the new RAM, and immediately after, it would not recognize any disk, consider as a first response, replacing the new RAM with the original.  If it works, return the new RAM and find 32GB RAM of the correct spec with an HP part no. label on it.  The one time I tried non-HP labeled RAM in a z620, it had training errors and some modules were not recognized. Workstations are particularily fussy about the memory.

This is not a guarantee that the new RAM is the problem but it's the only variable that changed between working and not working, so it's worth eliminating it as the possible cause.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

I ended up buying a new NVMe Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, reset everything to default in BIOS, was able to boot and see the new NVMe disk. The old NVMe disk is declared dead. I must have static-electricuted the old disk while replacing RAM - although I was grounding myself by holding the case by the metal part. I don't have any other explanation.

Anyway, now I have 48gig of RAM and 1TB NVMe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.