Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP z420, WIN 10 64 bit installed. I upgraded this system with 2 non-ssd drives and 2 ssd drives, enabled RAID on the system, then decided I didn't need it. I turned off everything I remember turning on but here's my symptoms:

-Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise - SATA Option ROM still pops up at boot

-American Megatrends (ctrl  + P to enter MEBX setup menu) still pops up at boot

-Any drive not plugged into the white SATA ports on the board doesn't get recognized

-SSDs plugged into the two grey ports are recognized

What happened here and I can get additional drives recognized?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Attempted to update the storage drivers, message popped stating the version installed on the machine was higher than the version being installed. I installed anyways, this fixed it.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Further information, when I just have two SSDs plugged in the machine does boot up to the OS and appear to function correctly.

Also, I've switched out HDs, sata cables, changed what SATA power ports I'm using. I've also checked integrity of every HD I'm using, they're all good.

HP Recommended

Switching AHCI+RAID to straight AHCI and rebooting did not change the number of drives recognized. I have three plugged in and only two are recognized.

HP Recommended

Pictures of BIOS options attached.z420_DevConf.jpgz420_DevOps.jpgz420_ManOps.jpg

HP Recommended

More screenshots- z420_PowOps.jpgz420_StorOps.jpgz420_SysInfo.jpg

HP Recommended

All of those screenshots were with three HD's plugged in. One in each grey and one in the white SATA port.

HP Recommended

In attempting to flush RAID completely out of my system I consulted this page: https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c01720221

As I stated before AHCI + RAID vs AHCI setting has no effect. Once I get into the Intel Storage Manger I don't have any RAID volumes to delete, but it does see the two hard drives my actual machine does not. Also, following the instructions, I didn't have a " SATA RAID Option ROM Download" as you can see from my BIOS setting screenshots.

HP Recommended

The hard drive sizes in question: 2x 128GB SSDs and 2x 1TB Sata drives.

HP Recommended

It looks like the latest version of the BIOS is 3.91 so my PC's BIOS (3.69 if I'm looking at the right section) is older. I'll give that a try on Tuesday if no one else comes up with any suggestions.

HP Recommended

Bump for anyone who didn't see this over the long weekend. I have not updated the BIOS yet as I still think this is a BIOS RAID config issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.