Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have a z420 with Windows 10, I put in PCi expres slot an NVME 960 evo with adapter. This is a non bootable disk, all god but not happy with the speed wich are actualy lower than 950 evo SATA.

My question is this actualy the desing limit, I've seen other talking about 1-2 GB data transfer, I have in this configuration 400 MB (read). I use this one to store VM's

Configuration is 

2x Evo 950 on sata III where Windows 10 1809 is instaled (RAID 0)

1 x Evo 960 pci adapter 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My mistake.

Becouse of the video card i didnt have enough room and I put ny mistake the nvme in pci 2x :(, now I have reararanged and 960 evo is in pci 3x NVMe-2.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

this has been covered numerous time here in this forum, if you had used the search feature you would have been able to read som of the previous posts/re[lies

the HP zx20 series workstations do not support booting from a nvme based SSD, support for this was not added untill the zx40 series. You can only use a SATA/AHCI based SSD that connects to a onboard SATA port such as a EVO 850

while you can not boot from a nvme, you can still use it as a DATA (non booting drive)

HP Recommended

Hi,

I’m not looking to make this disk bootable, just for data. 

My question is what is the speed limit for pci express for this system, in the current configuration 860 evo nvme  has lower performance than 850 evo sata. 

HP Recommended

so, did you partition it as NTFS using disk manager?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes I have created a GPT volume formated NTFS.hdd.jpg

HP Recommended

My mistake.

Becouse of the video card i didnt have enough room and I put ny mistake the nvme in pci 2x :(, now I have reararanged and 960 evo is in pci 3x NVMe-2.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.