sofix
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

z420 doesnt increase fan speed as CPU temp goes up

HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As the title states. CPU temp wil go up to 85c and fans will stay at minimum speed. If i increase minumum fan speed in bios the cpu will stay cool but then my workstation sounds like a jet all the time and i would like to get that quiet idle. I have replaced thermal paste and clered all the dust out. The problem is pinpointed dirrectly to fan speed not increasing as cpu tempreture is going up. Any ideas?

I am running 64bit windows 10 with all hte drivers installed from the HP website.

6 REPLIES 6
gabornico
Level 4
111 109 6 11
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

in F10 BIOS Setup you can increase the idle fan speed.

You should also check if there is a newer BIOS available for download.

0 Kudos
sofix
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can change minimum fan speed and it does make fan speed go up and cools my cpu way better bringing temps down, but doing it this way keeps my workstation loud all the time.  I also updated to the latest 3.9 bios and it didnt fix the issue

0 Kudos
gabornico
Level 4
111 109 6 11
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

there is no reason to panic.

85 degrees is high but not critical for a Xeon processor.

If you increase the idle fan speed in BIOS the workstation should not be very loud.

Don't go up to the max, just one or two steps.

In case you have a high power graphics card there is a front fan kit which increses airflow a bit.

0 Kudos
GeneralGPU
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. The CPU fan will not throttle up when the CPU gets warm. I can manually adjust it from the bios, but.. shouldn't the fan increase speed when the CPU get warmer? I also updated to the latest bios. I have not updated the firmware yet. would this be the issue? should I go back to v3.88. could this be the issue? Is there a setting in the BIOS to turn that feature on?

Bios 3.9 

E5-1650 v1 3.2ghz 

Win 10 Pro 

GTX970 GPU

0 Kudos
Deacon_Blue
Level 1
6 5 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem (see below for specs) .

The fan can be increased via the bios but for runs at whatever speed all the time, No idle nor peak speed settings. Now I am running Thermal at 3. The PC is too loud. Running at a 2, the sound level is ok, but temp jump into the 60s to low 70s.

I'd like to know CPU temps; min, max, and normal operating range for this Intel CPU. I read various "opinions" online stating anywhere from 64C to 91C. 

Intel's site states "Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)." at 64C for Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 12M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 0.0 GT/s Intel® QPI. I think this is what I have.

-Any info would be helpful.

HP Z420 Workstation

Thermal in BIOS set at 3 out of 5

Intel Xeon E5 1650 @ 3.20GHz 6 core

Motherboard HP1589 (CPU0)

16GB RAM

NVIDIA NVS 295

3 HDs

Win 7 64bit

0 Kudos
kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,846 324 972
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation