Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an EVGA 730 card installed, but no matter what connector I use (DVI2hdmi, hdmi2hdmi, or vga2vga), the bios screen appears stretched and truncated(Quadrant 2 visible and 1,3,4 not). It is in UEFI boot, and not present in early legacy boots. Is there a solution, or are there graphics cards that work properly in a UEFI boot?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UEFI is allways enabled, there is no way to disable it in newer systems.

all you can do is tell a UEFI bios to either look for or skip legacy hardware  init  (sometimes called "CSM" instead of legacy)

again, set bios to defaults and  see if you still have the problem

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

FIRST OF ALL THE EVGA 730 FAMILY HAS MANY DIFFRENT MODELS

please state which model 730 you have

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+700+Series+Family&chipset=GT+73...

the 730 uses a newer gpu chip and as such has a UEFI capable bios

the video issues you are having most likely stem from the monitor itself being unable to auto adjust it's resolution to what is required

try setting the computers bios to defaults and see if the issue persists

HP Recommended

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=02G-P3-1733-KR

I am planning to use uefi and if the card is not compatible, I will relplace it with something I can rely upon.

HP Recommended

UEFI is allways enabled, there is no way to disable it in newer systems.

all you can do is tell a UEFI bios to either look for or skip legacy hardware  init  (sometimes called "CSM" instead of legacy)

again, set bios to defaults and  see if you still have the problem

HP Recommended

As I recall, defaults of 3.94 bios also support legacy and efi with legacy as secondary, and usually when booted the bios screen was ok. The system works the way I set it up from one of those sessions, but in the future I will rely on BiosConfigUtility64 to change things.  

HP Recommended

I tried "Defaults". Works. Difference in bios files from BCU are "*Legacy support" and "VGA Configuration
Slot 3 Nvidia" from "Legacy support" and "VGA Configuration *Slot 3 Nvidia".  Now i wonder if this the least inclusive scenario: boot legacy until the windows uefi is loaded.

HP Recommended

UEFI is not a Bios replacement in itself, that's a misnomer. UEFI depends on the Legacy bios to load so it can then load on top of it.  UEFI is a bios enhancement which overcomes many of the legacy bios's limitations and allows more features,  but by itself UEFI can't do anything until a legacy bios loads to the point where the UEFI enhancements can be loaded.

when you tell a UEFI bios to not use "CSM"  or "Legacy" mode all you are doing is moving the device detection/ device init from the original bios to the UEFI portion, it does not actually disable the original BIOS CPU/memory detection (and god knows what else ) which the legacy bios does on startup. the most common UEFI feature is how the BOOT device is handled compared to Legacy., next is more space for fancy bios menu screens. i'm sure there are other UEFI enhancements but the two i have listed are in common use in just about every computers UEFI bios

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-UEFI-and-Legacy-Mode-which-we-need-to-choose-wh...

HP Recommended

HP Nvidia K2000 2G works properly in UEFI boot.

HP Recommended

if you read the "OP's" reply that a bios reset to defaults fixed the problem you will note that he had set the slot the video card was in to disable VGA COMPATABILITY, this is what caused the issue with the video screens not displaying correctly i when in the bios screens. and this will affect any video card inserted in that slot, and it will also cause the same display issue under UEFI as it did under legacy since the bios depends on the legacy part, before enabling the UEFI extensions

again, ....the issue was not a video card issue, but a improper bios setting that caused the strange bios screens. 

HP Recommended

My recent experience with BCU was after setting to defaults and getting the BIOS settings the VGA Configuration shows the "*Slot 5 Nvidia"(selected). When I try to enable secure boot and set the BIOS, there is an error that the VGA Configuration is incompatible. I deselect it, set the BIOS, no error. After booting in Secure Boot the VGA configuration went from not selected to selected, apparently set by BIOS.

The EVGA 730 card would not under any circumstances do the BIOS screen right in a secure boot with no legacy suppport, whereas the K2000 would. I did have a problem with a monitor "missing" the signal to go to 640x480 with the K2000 which got me in the "blank screen" search, but I found by cycling sources on the monitor select input screen during boot, it would use the appropriate resolution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.