Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a z800. It was unexpectedly powered down when I got back from Holiday.

After turning it on it shuts down itself a few times during Windows startup.

Later I saw it doing a windows update. (win10).  I don't know if this is finished correctly.

When I go to the bios the computer stays up and running. So I guess it's not a power supply issue.

It keeps shutting down during windows startup.

Is that expected with the latest update and an old computer?

tnx

frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks guys,

Just as a test I replaced the psu and the machine is still up and running.

It looks like the energy demand is higher when the windows startsup/runs then when just in Bios.

Never seen this....

Frank

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

>  It keeps shutting down during windows startup. Is that expected with the latest update and an old computer?

No, that is not expected.

On another computer, can you Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

and write the "installer" to one DVD-writable media, or to an 8 GB (or larger) USB memory-stick?

Then, boot your computer from this "installer", and choose "repair", instead of "install".

HP Recommended

it's not rocket science,..................... your post STRONGLY indicates a corrupted OS or a misbehaving application

the one cure that is most likely to fix this is a OS reinstall followed by a application reinstall following a one by one app install procedure

HP Recommended

Thanks guys,

Just as a test I replaced the psu and the machine is still up and running.

It looks like the energy demand is higher when the windows startsup/runs then when just in Bios.

Never seen this....

Frank

HP Recommended

you can do a "BIST" test on both supplies by removing all power connectors from the supply then connect it to mains  power, if green light glows, and fan spins supply passes self test

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/838385/Hp-Z800-Workstation.html?page=208

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.