computchem
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

z820 Bios and ME upgrade to support v2 processors

HP Recommended
z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a z820 with v1 processors. I want to upgrade it with e5 2600 v2. But boot block date of bios is 2011. I read the posts about how to upgrade z820 from  sandy bridge to ivy bridge processors. I have a simple question, is external programming of bios with the latest version of bios and ME firmware  sufficient and safe? or I should update only boot block date region.

6 REPLIES 6
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 933
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

this question has been asked so many time here on this board.

please use this forums "search" function and you will get your answer

short reply, while you might be able to use a 56xx xeon on your v1 board it's not a sure thing and two 56xx xeons is almost guarenteed not to work the v2 MB has a diffrent revision chipset (updated) that fully supports the 56 series. it's not just the bios (which also can not be updated to v2 unless you desolder it and reprogram/replace)

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,271 2,225 211 655
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Spoiler
You can do this.... but it is quite a project and not cheap.....

Agree fully with DGroves, but let me be even more definitive.  If you want HP approved Z820 v2 processors to run in your Z820 you have only one option.... buy a new or used HP Z820 v2 motherboard and do the swap.  It is not so bad of a project if you are willing to take it on.

It is easier to upgrade one of these ZX20 motherboards with a used Z820 v2 motherboard than a brand new "virgin" one because you don't need to "brand" or "tattoo" a used motherboard.  If you happen to buy a new motherboard get back in touch with me.

The old branding/tattooing procedures were complex, required different proprietary utilities, and are invalid for the newer HP workstations.... don't go reading up on that old news.  It does not apply now, thankfully.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 933
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SDH is spot on about NEW Virgin z820 boards needing the serial set (IE- enter the ser# found on the HP label on the case)

if the board comes from a valid HP reseller it will boot into the custom settings page, and be advised you only get ONE CHANCE in entering in this information. if you get it wrong then the board needs to be exchanged for another as HP has not released the tool that they use to reset this information having bad information is not the end of the world, but it may prevent windows from activating requiring a call TO MS for getting it activated

HP service techs will sometimes  use a tool to copy the information from a bootable board and then push this info onto the new board.

doing it this way decreases the chance for errors, but since it's only 3 or 4 fields you can get it right by simply taking your time and tripple checking the typed information before writing it on the new board

BTW, dell, and some lenovo models also require this step 

0 Kudos
computchem
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks. Based on your comments and old posts, I decide to update bios with an external programmer, taking both ME and Bios firmware from the latest version ( 3.94). I forgot to say you; I bought two e5 2680 v2 processors.
0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,483 4,466 406 933
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

since you have a programer and know how to use it, i recomend you keep a backup copy of the installed bios as it contains the board UUID/Serial/Mac Address/SAS controller address this way if you need to replace the chip or even the motherboard you can resore all critical information

let us know if the v1 board is stable with the v2 xeons usually it will not boot, or only boot sometimes, and warm boots hang

0 Kudos
poppyhead
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know this was a long time ago but is there a how to guide posted anywhere for us poor folks who aren't up to date on teh tools required to make our amazing workstations able o unleash their full potential?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation