Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a newly unboxed z820 workstation (running BIOS 3.52). I'd like to get my RAID configuration setup, but I am having problems following the steps outlined in the Maintenance and Service guide:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03424977-1.pdf

Specifically, under the "Configuring system BIOS" section, after confirming RAID+AHCI is set for SATA Mode and Post Messages are enabled, Step 4 then says to enable "SATA RAID Option ROM Download". There is no such item under Device Options. I do see "SAS Option ROM Download", which is already enabled.

Also, after exiting the BIOS settings, there is no CTRL+C or CTRL+I option to enter RAID settings...

I have indeed verified that there are two functioning drives on the machine...

Anyone know what's up?

Thanks,

Jake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Oh, and switch to legacy everything just for testing purposes - unless you've done it already.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
No Ctrl-I even after saving to RAID+AHCI and a reboot?

After a reboot, is it still RAID+AHCI?
HP Recommended

Correct - CTRL-I does not launch the RAID Utility app. CTRL-I is not listed as an option (nor does pressing the key combination work). I have an older Z400 as well that is configured for RAID (where CTRL-I is listed and working), so I have some familiarity with when to expect the prompt (assuming nothing drastic has changed between these models over the past few years).

Also, the RAID+AHCI setting is persisting across reboots on this newer Z820 of mine.

Thanks,

Jake

HP Recommended
It may also be disabled in "Boot Order" under Storage - checked there? If it's there, the next things I'd do:

- clear CMOS first, see what happens;
- then take our any PCIe devices in the system, leave only the boot drive on SATA (or SAS) 0, see if IRST prompt comes up.
- if it doesn't, it might be a good time to call HP support... :smileysad:
HP Recommended
Oh, and switch to legacy everything just for testing purposes - unless you've done it already.
HP Recommended

Disabling secure boot and enabling legacy boot support did the trick! Thanks

HP Recommended

I have disabled secure boot and enabled legacy boot, but only "SAS RAID...ROM download" is in Advanced->Device options and no "SATA RAID...ROM download". If You can help, please give any advice. Thanks.

Here all steps from manual:

RAID_BIOS_1.jpeg

RAID_BIOS_2.jpeg

RAID_BIOS_3.jpeg

RAID_BIOS_4.jpeg

BIOS system info

RAID_BIOS_info.jpeg

There manual pages (from http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03424977-1.pdf):

RAID_manual_1.pngRAID_manual_2.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.