Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP z820
Linux

Hi,

I have a z820 and want to upgrade my CPU's to the latest and greatest CPU possible.

As far as I can see, that would be Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2697 v2 correct?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

running the 150 watt xeon 2697 cpu(s) will require you to install the HP 1250 watt power supply and thel HP z820/840 water cooling kit

check the pricing,.........once you get over the sticker shock for both parts i recommend you confine yourself to the slightly slower 130 watt xeons that will work with the upgraded HP heatsinks which are larger, have 3 heatpipes and a larger fan

the stock heatsinks are only rated for the 95 watt or lower cpu's and are smaller than the performance heatsink and only have 2 heatpipes

HP Recommended

thx.  I have the 1125Watt PSU  in there but was planning on adding 3x 2080RTX.  Will that PSU not be enough for that?

thanks a lot for the info in regards to the heatsinks, I did not know that.

Looks to me though that https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75283/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2697-v2-30m-cache... is running on 130 Watts though?

HP Recommended

sigh,........first of all the z820 does not support SLI on consumer cards second the 2080 is a 300 watt card so there is no way you are going to run three of them (do the math)

HP Recommended

An added issue..... you need to check your boot block date in BIOS.  There are version 1 and version 2 motherboards for the Z420, Z620 and Z820.  That has all been figured out in the forum here, searchable.  You must have the later version to run the v2 processors.  Just confirm that your boot block date ends with 2013 and you'll be fine on that level.

HP Recommended

"sigh"? Really?!

First of all the 2080 isn't a 300 Watt card rather than 215W or 225W (for the founders) as can be found on the official Nvidia site.

Secondly I am assuming u have never heard of GPU rendering - it's what professionals use these days.  No SLI needed.

Thanks for trying to help.
I hope ur day today is going better than yesterday.

HP Recommended

Thx, I am aware of the bootlock date.  I did (some) research just want to double check as I couldn't find that specific CPU.

HP Recommended

the z820 power supply (even the 1125 watt unit) will not support 600+ watts on the GPU rail and i pointed out that SLI is not supported on consumer cards to remind you and other readers of this fact since SLI is the most common use of dual/triple video cards as most readers on this forum use windows not linux and miss reading the documentation which covers this

also your listed E5-2697 v2 cpu is not the fastest, the E5-2687W v2 is the fastest however, if the core count is more important to you then RAW "IPC" the 2697 is indeed "the fastest Ivy Bridge cpu with the most cores"

you might want to look at some of the official HP configurations and use that as a reference to determine which hardware configurations match your desired config in regards to power draw and cooling,  you can use two video devices and be within the HP recommended power draw/cooling requirements 

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/downloads/graphics_qrg_020513.pdf

HP Recommended

Thx for your reply.

I honestly doubt your comment about most users needing SLI, however. 

The Z's aren't gaming rigs rather than professional workstations and GPU rendering is very common in professional applications.  The big players i.e. redshift do not utilize SLI at all (no matter which OS), but it's great for others to read it here.

I agree, I should have been more specific in regards to what I mean by fastest.  I just assumed that most professional apps utilize multithreading properly theses days and that usually outperforms the slightly faster single core speeds.

thx for the link to the official supported cards.  Unfortunately these only list quadro cards that in GPU rendering really don't add much other than horrendous prices.

I have a Z800 as well with DUAL CPU, a 850W PSU and two gtx cards in there, so I am surprised the 1125W can't handle three. 

HP Recommended

go back and read the hp video document NOTE THE LISTED CARDS WATTAGE DRAW, that's your starting reference

the z800/820/840 systems use a power supply that has multiple rails, most consumer power supplies are single rail nowadays

what's the difference? it's possible to overload a multi rail supply on one of it's rails while being under the supplies total wattage

HP specs the 1150 watt supply when running dual 130 watt cpu's and or both banks of ram filled or when using dual gpu cards of 140/160 watts 

do a forum search using keywords "SLI" and you will see many, many posts regarding SLI on the z workstation line

and i'm quite aware of what workstations are used for as i just retired from my "IT" job and have z800/820 and 840 systems for my home use so i'm quite familiar with these systems

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.