Arich26
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

10b11+ giving incorrect answers

HP Recommended
HP 10b11+

My calculator is giving incorrect answers. Example: What will a deposit of $4,500 at 10% compounded semiannually be worth if left in the bank for six years?

Pv: 4,500

i/yr 10%

n: 6

pmt: 0

FV: solve. 

It gives me -4,729.74. This is not the correct answer. What do I do when I have a test coming up in 5 days?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
BartdB
Level 9
971 954 119 186
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

for semi-annual you need to set payments per year to 2.

2 Orange-shift P/YR (on PMT key)

Also remember that  then N becomes 12 (there are 12 semi-annual interest payments in 6 years)

You can do this with the xP/YR (on N key)

6 Orange-shift xP/YR  (the display will show 12 which is automatically stored in N )

You should now get a FV of -8,081.35, which I think is the answer you were expecting.

(edited to correct spelling)

-Bart
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Note that the source of 99% of errors in financial calculations stems from not having your interest match your compounding correctly as specified. Make sure you are doing that correct, and the rest is easy!

I always tell finance students - learn how to interpret interest and compounding correctly before anything else and REALLY understand it. That will make the course simple.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @Arich26 :

See, pages 55 to 60, from ... http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02989763.pdf

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation