Lily17
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

10bII+ financial calculator self-resets

HP Recommended
10bII+ financial calculator

My financial calculator resets itself everytime I try to complete a calculation. I mainly use the calculation to calculate FV, PV and to do cash flow calculations. It gives me the code COPr HP2010. It does this even when I try to switch of the calculator. It allows me to put in all the variables before going crazy. It is only 3 years old. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or should I just get a new one?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, Lily17 :

Try, resseting the calculator. The calculator HP10BII, is similar what your calculator.

You can, see ... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpia5290

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
David_M
Level 6
140 139 29 60
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My first thought upon reading this is that your batteries need replacing.  The drain on the batteries is higher when the CPU of the calculator is processing functions than when it's in an idle or data entry state.  The voltage level may be dropping just enough to cause the calculator to reset when you compute FV/PV/Cash Flows.

Try replacing the batteries with a reputable brand before giving up on your 10bII+. 

0 Kudos
cyrille
Level 6
Level 6
252 251 42 77
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I second the previous post, the most likely culprit there is low battery... especially after 3 years. Have you ever changed the batteries since you bought it?

Put 2 new batteries and give it a try (actually, it will work with a single battery, at least for testing).

Cyrille

I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Lily17
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That was the first thing I did and I think it made the problem worse.

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try, with the instruction send in my first post ...

• Resetting to drain the capacitor
    To drain the capacitor on the calculator, follow the procedure below.
    1. Remove the batteries.
    2. Place a dime in each hole.
    3. Press the dimes down and towards the top of the calculator, and hold for five (5) seconds.
    4. Remove the dimes, and put the batteries back in the calculator.
    5. The "ALL CLEAR" message will be displayed.
    6. Press the [ON] key to clear the message.
  • Other solutions
    If the calculator did not display the "ALL CLEAR" message after resetting, or if resetting it did not correct the error, then remove the batteries for 24 to 48 hours.
       NOTE:
    The batteries must be removed for at least 24 hours to drain the capacitor completely.
    After letting the calculator sit without batteries for at least 24 hours, replace with fresh batteries. If the calculator continues to malfunction, it will need to be sent in for repair.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
BartdB
Level 9
971 954 119 186
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check that the battery contacts are clean and also not loose.

Replace batteries with ones from a good brand purchased from a reputable retailer.

Cheap or fake batteries do not cut in this unit, as they do not have the ability to handle the power required when the calculator  completes a calculation (its got a fast processor that is essentially in idle when entering data, then goes full speed to give an answer. That "full speed" draws power that cheap batteries can't handle).

Also ensure that the batteries are in the right way. Both must be inserted in the same way, with the + facing out.

New_HP_Batt.JPG

Regards.

-Bart
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many Thanks for this solution 🙂

Financial Calculator Reviews by CDHPL
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation