Did you mean: 
P-townRICK
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

35s no port

HP Recommended
35sI

I just bought a 35s. It does not hold a candle to my old 41 (it died years ago).

Question why wasn't a USB port installed so it could connect to a computer to load or store programs,

this is a no brainer ?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 32, then 33, and then 35 were designed specifically for classroom/exam use. USB to allow download/exchange of data doesn't match well with skittish exam boards.

You might want to visit http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/forum-4.html where the afficianados of older HP calculators hang out. There are several interesting projects such as a modern replacement for the HP-41 main board that gives it flash memory and every (and I mean **EVERY**) HP 41 rom ever made loaded inside the calculator, several community made calculators (either from scratch or that reporpose other units, and similar.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
P-townRICK
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not wish to insult anyone, However that reply does not add up.

No one will be allowed to hook to a computer in an exam. Also the alphanumerics are very limited.

I was really disappointed this did not replace the hp35 or the 41c. Why in the heck not!!

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Because exam boards are leery of anything that allows quick entry of data, the ability to load or copy data off, or anything that might aid anyone in removing exam questions or bringing data into an exam...

It isn't about connection DURING the exam, but what you might be able to do later with that data or have loaded PRIOR to the exam.

That for example is why all exams have a blanket "if it has a querty key layout, it is banned" rule. Makes it "easier" to stick questions in to memory.

You are right, it does not make sense and the rules are silly. Unfortunately, we don't make the rules and just have to abide by them if we want those units to be allowed.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
P-townRICK
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you can't write sentences on a 35s. Why no replacement for a 41c?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation