Did you mean: 
XXXXXYYYY
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Adding option to HP Prime for polar form input/output of complex numbers

HP Recommended

Is there any way (downloading an app or whatever) to add POLAR FORM to the HP Prime's options for displaying complex numbers without having to take a rectangular form and manually converting it?  It's sheer foolishness the way it's set up now: it's either rectangular form (a = bi), or rectangular form ((a,b)) and when you analyze AC circuits the voltages, currents and impedances are of the polar form.  This is a big pain in the butt, and I expected more from HP because even the Casio 9750GII allows for polar-form complex number input AND output.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joe_Horn
Level 8
649 634 124 222
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@XXXXXYYYY wrote:

SO....If I’m in Home, as you advise, I should be able to put in  5.00angle53.130 + 9.2195angle49.399 and get the polar result of 14.213angle 50.711 without doing ANY conversion, right?

Correct.  Be sure you're in degree mode, of course.

polar

-Joe-

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
Joe_Horn
Level 8
649 634 124 222
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No need to add an app... polar form input and output is built into Home view.  Just use this syntax:

magnitude ∡ angle

The ∡ symbol is accessed by pressing [Shift] [×].

For example, typing 8∡12 in Home view in degree mode means "absolute magnitude of 8 units, at an angle of 12°".

Furthermore, pressing the ∡ key when there's nothing on the edit line toggles the latest result between polar and rectangular display mode.  If you highlight something on the history stack, pressing ∡ toggles that item between polar and rectangular.

Sometimes the result will look funny in Standard number format.  For example, typing 3∡3 is displayed as 3∡3.00000000001 in Standard number format.  An easy way to see a cleaner result is by pressing the [a b/c] key.

Hope that helps!  Disclaimer: I don't work for HP. I'm just another happy HP calculator user.

-Joe-
XXXXXYYYY
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SO....If I’m in Home, as you advise, I should be able to put in  5.00angle53.130 + 9.2195angle49.399 and get the polar result of 14.213angle 50.711 without doing ANY conversion, right?

Joe_Horn
Level 8
649 634 124 222
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@XXXXXYYYY wrote:

Correct.  Be sure you're in degree mode, of course.

polar

-Joe-

View solution in original post

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation