Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBrosh
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Algebra using solve equation giving a repatting decimal rather than the whole number.

HP Recommended
HP 50g
Other

So I was jsut playing around with the solve equation feature on the HP 50g and was doing a simple problem of 4*x-12=0 to slove for X. Besides switching to RPN the calculator is defalut settings. The problem is that it will only solve to 2.99999999 rather than 3 as I would assume it would.

Is this a limitation of the device or do I not have the calculator set up correctly? 

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
BartdB
Level 9
971 954 119 186
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The numeric solver is an iterative solver and this will always be approximate.

For exact solutions, try the symbolic solver SOLVEVX or SOLVE (white left shift S.SLV, SOLVEVX or SOLVE)

(for symbolic calculations, make sure X (or whatever variables used) are deleted/ do not exist)

For more on these and other commands, see the section 3 of Advanced Reference Guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02836298

(section 1 provides an introduction to RPL programming,  section 2 provides programming examples and  section 3 provides details of each command of the 50g)

You will also find the following site useful:

www.hpcalc.org

lots of HP50g resources and programs.

-Bart
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much I was searching and searching. Couldnt find any topics about this.  Now that you answered I find this gets asked a lot. I kind a feel dumb. LoL

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation